1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Single chick...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by New chicken family, May 22, 2007.

1. New chicken family

New chicken family Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    Not me - I am happily married!

But we do have a new baby at our house. A class at my kids school incubated it and it hatched today. The teacher said her one last year died. I took this one home for the night. She didn't even have a warming light!
    But the baby (Sammy) is not happy. She cries unless you hold her, and then she falls right asleep.
    The brooder is the right temp, it is drinking and eating. But she tries to find me as soon as I put her down.
    Will she make it?
    If Sammy is a HE - when will he start crowing? We live in the city with a no roos law....

I have 4 pullets that are 3 weeks old tomorrow - can I put them together? Maybe just one with the baby?

Sammy is a Leghorn - What do Buff LH pullets look like as chicks? My daughter would prefer a buff.....

Thanks!

2. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    Your chick is lonely, but cannot be put with the adults-- they will most likely kill it (even one). Any chance you can get another chick from the feed store or a local farm? Chickens are very social and you will need at least two for this baby to grow up happy & normal. [​IMG]

3. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I put a one week old with a day old and they get along. The older one does dominate the little one though. I don't know how a 3 weeker would act. If it were me I would try putting the little one in with the older ones just separated by chicken wire. She should be happier if she can at least be close to the others. If this doesn't work maybe put one of the 3 weekers in with her and watch to see how they get along. Keep trying till you get a good match.

Good luck.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:I agree, I would at least try, to let them be near, and hopefully be together. Good luck.

5. New chicken family

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    I put the baby together with an Ameracauna, and the baby scared her! She tried to jump on her back and peck at her eyes!
    Is the baby a male?

6. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    To quote Storey's Guide, aka The Book Of All Knowledge [​IMG], a single chick is a sad chick. I'm sure that's why it's crying and chirping--it's lonely! I agree with the idea about putting it with the others, separated by chicken wire. Or even if you can put it near the others so it can hear them. It'll be much happier, and you'll sleep better too!

7. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Wow--if it's not a male, this chick should be named She-Ra! But seriously, chickens instinctively try to establish pecking order even from hatch, so I'm sure that's part of what's going on here. No idea if the baby is a boy or a girl because pullets do it, too. Shame on him/her for beating up on its new roommate, though! :eek: You're grounded, young chickie!

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  8. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I missed that your other girls are 3 weeks-- I thought they were older. You may be able to put your baby with the older ones after she gets a little larger. Try the separated but within view idea. Should work.

9. New chicken family

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    When do they start crowing?
    I am going on vacation and my neighbor will be watching them. So we need to be prepared!

She is very light yellow - does that mean she is probably a normal white leghorn?

10. New chicken family

May 6, 2007
    Madison WI
    We got Sammy a friend - a blue silkie. They hatched on the same day.
    She is beautiful!!!
    I never thought such a strange chicken would warm my heart so much! Her name is Gloria.
    The 2 chicks are in the kiddie pool in the garage with a light and a fence inbetween them and they follow each other around like gaurd dogs!
    I hope this works out!
    I will keep you all posted!
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by