1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Single chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by motherx3, Dec 10, 2012.

1. motherx3

motherx3 Out Of The Brooder

We had only 1 egg hatch and I fear she is Lonley! We have put a fresh batch in to hatch out, but will be 21 days. This is the first time we have hatched babies and were told the eggs were older and may not hatch the first time but as we were breaking In our new incubator was more an experiment. Peeps is so cute, and very vocal.
    How do we keep her happy for 21 more days?
    She ( peeps) is a Australorp 2 days old.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    You could put a small stuffed animal in the brooder, also a small mirror so it appears like another chick is in there. Also, handling it a lot will help.

1 person likes this.
  3. motherx3

Should I respond when she starts to really get upset,or is it ok to let her peep away. I do not want to traumatize her

4. motherx3

Should I respond when she starts to really get upset,or is it ok to let her peep away. I do not want to traumatize her

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Make sure it is warm enough, should be between 90-95 under the lamp. Should be able to get out of the heat when too warm. Have fresh food and water away from the lamp. Without the mirror and stuffed animal, you will have to be its companion.

6. motherx3

Temp is good put a blanket nest for her to hide in and under. Water and food are In along with small bird gravel. She has shavings and I Put in two stuffed animals but she is still peeping away! Lol

7. motherx3

I gave in and into my bed she came. Only way I think I will get some sleep. Will try again tomorrow!

8. NashobaLosa

NashobaLosa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Congrats... You now have a pet chicken! I had the same misfortune recently and ended up with a house chicken till one day he up and decided he was a rooster. I kept his cage where he could see me after the first week of endless distress peeping and trying to follow me when I would leave the brooder room... I tried everything nothing worked as well as that. Finally he figured out he was supposed to want to be with the girls so out he went. And I swore I would never have a rooster but he still runs to me as soon as I go outside... I can't exactly get rid of him now can I?

9. motherx3

She is such a talker.. She now follows me around the kitchen for a bit before she needs to warm up. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by