SINGLE CHICK

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shell44, Jul 23, 2008.

1. shell44

shell44 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    LaGrange, Kentucky
    I have a runt silkie chick that I brought up to the house because it wasn't doing very well. I'm giving it vitamins, good food and plenty of water.

It is in a small pet carrier with a lamp nearby for warmth.
    Anything else I need to do? If it survives, can I put it back with the others? When?

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Little chickies do better if not alone. Could you bring a friend in too? Everything else you are doing is right on.

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    OH MY, short memory. If the chicks are young enough they have no problem going back in the flock. If they are alittle older, there will be some jockying for pecking order but generally not any thing to worry about.

4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Yes, u r doing everything right. Also give it lots of treats (like grubs, bugs, etc.) so it is happy. It would be a good idea to give it a friend, too. I don't think reentry to the flock would be a problem.[​IMG]

5. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I've raised 2 chicks from different hatches alone and they did fine. My first was a silkie. I would let it out in the yard supervised with the other chicks at first, and once I was sure they wouldn't pick on it, I let it stay with the others full time. It was probably close to 4 or 5 weeks old before it went back with the others permanently. My other single chick is 4 weeks old, but the others did not accept it and it is living inside again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by