Single chicken being pecked

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickMama18, Sep 11, 2016.

1. ChickMama18

ChickMama18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2015
    Hello! Looking for some advice. I have a red ranger hen who is bigger than all of my other hens yet she is at the bottom of the pecking order. She was pecked at so badly she lost her feathers and bled. I have tried several remedies to correct the situation. No pecking cream, hen saddle, increased all hens protein intake and even separated the red ranger for a month until she was fully healed. When I tried to re-introduce her recently to the flock they started the same thing again. Pecking her. It is the same spot too. It is the top of her tail. The area around her preening gland. Any ideas why the other hens are doing this or how to stop it? It is not all hens just a few.
    They have plenty of food, water and they free range so they have plenty of space. The weather has been hot this summer so I thought that might have something to do with it, but it has cooled down and they still single the red ranger out. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd isolate the bully hens for a time so the now 'newbie again' can establish a place in the flock.

3. Cass87

Cass87 Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I have the same problem and no idea what to do. I only have 2 hens currently and my barred rock constantly bullies my silkie. There are white feathers every where. She has bald spots. I don't know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by