1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

single chicken- will one do OK for a little while?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RoyalCoopMom, Feb 13, 2015.

1. RoyalCoopMom

RoyalCoopMom Chirping

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
    I am a city girl but always wanted to raise chickens and the time has finally come! I am getting ready for my first batch of chickens. I plan to get 4 - day old chicks but the feed store only had the ones I want coming in in separate lots. I want an Australorp, a Rhode Island red, a Barred Ply Rock, and a Delaware. I can get an Aust and a RIR the first week of March then the Delaware and Barred Rock three weeks later. Or get one Aust the first week then get the other three 3 weeks later. Which should I do? I am leaning toward 1 and 3. so that there is only one bigger than the three little ones when I put them together but don't want to stress out the one for 3 weeks being alone if that is a problem.

When I go to put them together how do I best handle it? Or is 3 weeks just no big deal?

I picked my breeds primarily based on Winter hardy (Mid-west), docile, good layers. Am I on target or should I have a different plan for my first time out. I've read lots of books and think I have a good plan but would welcome any input from experienced Chicken Moms and Dads.

Thanks for all your wisdom. I have already learned lots for Backyard Chickens.com
    RCM

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Get 2 first. Young chicks won't be a problem with 3 weeks difference in age given enough space.
    A lone chick will peep constantly looking for friends.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree to get the two first, then the other two. 3 weeks isn't that big a deal. You'll want to wait until the younger chicks are around 2-3 weeks before you put them all together, but after they they should all be good. Your breeds are all good choices, you should have a very nice flock!

4. RoyalCoopMom

RoyalCoopMom Chirping

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
    Thanks for the advise ChickenCanoe. I see you are in St Louis. I have only found one place in the area that sells singles like I want, a Feed store in Fenton. Any other places I should consider?

5. deacons

deacons Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Just a word of warning, in many states, there are laws that feedstores have to sell you a minimum number of chicks at once (often 4, 6, or 12). I wanted to build a mixed flock the way you are planning, but I couldn't because of the minimum chick requirement. I'm happy with the flock size and composition I have now, but it would have been fun to have a little more diversity if I could pick or choose a couple of breeds at a time.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    2 weeks can be a big enough difference...I tried it last year and it didn't work, 2 older chicks added pecked the heck out of the 4 younger ones, I had to split the brooder with wire mesh....so be ready to separate if necessary.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    ElMel is having chick days soon. Also a couple friends are buying chicks so if you need to split an order that will work.

http://www.meetup.com/stlouischickens/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: