single chicken- will one do OK for a little while?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RoyalCoopMom, Feb 13, 2015.

1. RoyalCoopMom

RoyalCoopMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
    I am a city girl but always wanted to raise chickens and the time has finally come! I am getting ready for my first batch of chickens. I plan to get 4 - day old chicks but the feed store only had the ones I want coming in in separate lots. I want an Australorp, a Rhode Island red, a Barred Ply Rock, and a Delaware. I can get an Aust and a RIR the first week of March then the Delaware and Barred Rock three weeks later. Or get one Aust the first week then get the other three 3 weeks later. Which should I do? I am leaning toward 1 and 3. so that there is only one bigger than the three little ones when I put them together but don't want to stress out the one for 3 weeks being alone if that is a problem.

When I go to put them together how do I best handle it? Or is 3 weeks just no big deal?

I picked my breeds primarily based on Winter hardy (Mid-west), docile, good layers. Am I on target or should I have a different plan for my first time out. I've read lots of books and think I have a good plan but would welcome any input from experienced Chicken Moms and Dads.

Thanks for all your wisdom. I have already learned lots for Backyard Chickens.com
    RCM

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Get 2 first. Young chicks won't be a problem with 3 weeks difference in age given enough space.
    A lone chick will peep constantly looking for friends.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree to get the two first, then the other two. 3 weeks isn't that big a deal. You'll want to wait until the younger chicks are around 2-3 weeks before you put them all together, but after they they should all be good. Your breeds are all good choices, you should have a very nice flock!

4. RoyalCoopMom

RoyalCoopMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    St Louis
    Thanks for the advise ChickenCanoe. I see you are in St Louis. I have only found one place in the area that sells singles like I want, a Feed store in Fenton. Any other places I should consider?

5. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Just a word of warning, in many states, there are laws that feedstores have to sell you a minimum number of chicks at once (often 4, 6, or 12). I wanted to build a mixed flock the way you are planning, but I couldn't because of the minimum chick requirement. I'm happy with the flock size and composition I have now, but it would have been fun to have a little more diversity if I could pick or choose a couple of breeds at a time.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    2 weeks can be a big enough difference...I tried it last year and it didn't work, 2 older chicks added pecked the heck out of the 4 younger ones, I had to split the brooder with wire mesh....so be ready to separate if necessary.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    ElMel is having chick days soon. Also a couple friends are buying chicks so if you need to split an order that will work.

http://www.meetup.com/stlouischickens/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by