Single chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mikeamymck, Mar 22, 2011.

1. mikeamymck

mikeamymck New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    We lost our beloved Shirley about two weeks ago. She was about 2 years old and looked healthy up until a couple of days before dying. We were so sad to lose her but even more sad for our surviving chicken Laverne. We're not sure what to do at this point. Should we raise a chick or two and introduce them to Laverne gradually? Would it be okay if we got a different breed? Laverne is a Rhode Island Red. Would appreciate any advice, we are first time chicken folks.
    Mike and Amy:(

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If you get another, you would have to wait until it was grown to introduce it as your current hen would probably be territorial. Has your current hen ever went broody? Maybe you could let her go broody and give her some chicks to raise herself.

3. mikeamymck

mikeamymck New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you for your quick response and good advice. We are not equipped to have chicks unfortunately, but how fun would that be. So far Laverne seems happy so it must be more our emotions getting the best of us.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]I'd get another young hen and introduce them after quarantine. A different breed is fine. I don't like lonely chickens

5. mikeamymck

mikeamymck New Egg

Apr 14, 2009
    Yes we would love to get another sister for Laverne. No young chickens available in my area at this time. I'll keep looking or we will end up getting a couple of chicks to raise till they're old enough to be introduced to her. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by