Single Cob Gold Laced Wyandotte?

Minnowey

Songster
5 Years
Dec 30, 2016
Northwest Oregon
When I got my GLW, I thought that she was just hatchery quality, but then I read something about Single Comb Gold Laced Wyandottes in the genetic makeup of Plymouth Rocks. Is this what mine could be, or is she just hatchery quality like I suspected all along. I can post a pic if needed but would rather not, because she's really jumpy. Thanks in advance.

Single combs show up in all the Wyandotte colors occasionally, especially hatchery stock. I currently have a blue laced Wyandotte with a single comb.

It's not even necessarily "hatchery" quality--even breeders can get a single combed bird now and again. Since it's recessive, you just don't know until you breed enough, to a variety of other birds. But your good breeders cull those birds, hatcheries don't, they just send them out.

Agreed, it happens in show stock rarely and in hatchery stock commonly. Like donrae said, breeder will cull for it and hatcheries don't.

It's not even necessarily "hatchery" quality--even breeders can get a single combed bird now and again. Since it's recessive, you just don't know until you breed enough, to a variety of other birds. But your good breeders cull those birds, hatcheries don't, they just send them out.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom