Single comb ameraucanas - simple recessive? how to breed out?

Backyard Farm

Certified Personal Chicken Attendant
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Appreciate info.

I've heard that the single comb in Ameraucanas is a simple recessive. yes? no?

...and also did some reading and it seemed to not be so simple to breed out as a simple recessive your be.

...any info appreciated.

I am wondering if the single comb is a simple recessive.

I can cull the birds that show single but if recessive, some birds that have pea comb (dominant) are hiding the recessive single comb. If it is indeed a simple recessive, I will probably keep a single comb roo and test breed each hen next year who appears to have a pea comb to see who is hiding the recessive single gene.. and a single comb hen to test the roos and ...maybe... just maybe eliminate it from my birds.

If it is not a simple recessive, would love info on the gene/genes and how to breed to get rid of it.

I have culled all the single combs except a few that I've kept with the idea of test breeding if that will work.

Yes simple recessive.

However, sometimes you can identify which pea combed bird probably is a heterozygote by looking at the comb. It's often altered.. either 'not quite right' or really deviating from the proper pea comb look- variously in ways like having chewed bubble gum appearance, 'floppy', almost look like a single comb without the points, folded, etc. There's always some surprises as a great looking perfect pea comb can sometimes happen even if heterozygous.

Keep records, even if you don't test mate with single combs. for it to show up in a chick you have proof both the rooster and a hen are not pure for pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom