"Single Comb" Question ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickie Mamma, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any pics of a single comb vs. regular comb. I have always been confused with this.. Thanks..
    [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It depends on the breed. Silkies are supposed to have walnut (regular comb), whereas some times you might get a silkie with a single comb.

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I have silkies and frizzles. Is the "walnut comb" sort of bumpy?

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

A single comb is like those of a Leghorn, RIR, Plymouth Rock, Sussex, Orpington, Marans & lots of others.
    I'm not sure what might be meant by a 'regular' comb. As single comb is probably the most frequent comb, & regular means usual or normal. If I'd have been guessing I'd have thought a 'regular' comb referred to a single comb. [​IMG]

5. Orpington Poultry

Orpington Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    California
  6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thank you sooo much for the link! I have seen here on the forum that a silkie with a "single" comb would be a DQ in a show. I am ready to pick which Silkies I want to keep. They are 6 weeks and 4 weeks old and some of them are starting to get "combs". So I am really making sure I pick ones with "Ideal" combs. Thanks again..

7. Orpington Poultry

Orpington Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    California
    YOu are so welcome, If I might suggest ordering a copy of the APA Standard of Perfection. That book even in Black and White is just a treasure of information.

Good Luck.
    K.

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks again.. I will look into it. I am not planning to show any of my Silkies, but in case I want to breed some down the road, I just want to make sure I do it right! Thanks for all your help! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would never think of a silkie's comb as being a "regular" comb. The connotation is a single comb, but it is about as useful as a description as thingamajiggy or whatchamacallit.

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:So would breeding a Silkie with a single "whatchmacallit" not be a good idea? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by