Single comb silkie pullets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Momma 2 silkies, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    I have been reading on here about single comb silkies and have a question. This may have been answered somewhere else but I can't find it. I recently bought 3 nice looking silkie girls but they have single combs, can I breed this out with a roo that has a correct walnut comb? I have 2 nice roos with correct toes and foot feathering and nice mulberry walnut combs, can breeding to them correct the single comb and what % will still have the single comb? My girls are very nice and have really small single combs and nice big crests, If anyone can help me with this, I would be very thankful.

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    It will take several generations to breed this out of them, and the trait will still appear from time to time. If you have 4-6 years and a few extra breeding pens, then go for it. I suggest if you want to show them, to get birds without the single comb.

This is how you can attempt such a feat.

breed the male with correct comb to the females.
    when the offspring is mating, mate daughters with correct comb back to the father with correct comb and cull the rest.

when those offspring are ready to mate, breed grand-daughter to grandfather with the correct comb type and continue to
    breed back to the original cock you started with, for 4-5 generations until the correct comb type is in most of the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by