Single Comb Silkie to breed? POST 18 PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Oct 22, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have a single comb silkie that I got from somebody. Probably around 1.5 months old. She has very very good type, nice large crest, nice feathered feet, and nice even buff color, the only thing is, that it has a single comb.

If I were to use her to breed, what can I expect? Would the chicks have single combs, or walnut combs? Would you breed "her:?

I need help deciding. Any Silkie breeders, I would love to hear your opinion of what you would do.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm not a breeder, but I have some determined hens who have a "hatch or die" attitude.
    One of them is a Buff with a single comb. Out of three hatches, all of her offspring do not have a single comb. They all do (m or f) have her pushy personality........
    Hopefully, a real breeder will give you some good advice.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    a true "breeder" would not breed her, or at least not sell the eggs for a lot and disclose this. I know I was VERY disappointed to hatch a single comb after paying $35 + shipping for 6+ "show quality" eggs(only 2 hatched, so that's a $22+ bird). She is gorgeous other than that, so I can't get rid of the sweetie. I have decided to put her with my cochinxsilkies and frizzles, since they already have single combs. Now I just got to find a way to get her away from her roo, He's been protecting her since hatch(no kidding) [​IMG] . So as a consumer I would not want eggs from a single comb silkie

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's recessive, so all her off spring will have walnut combs unless the partner shared a recessive single comb. Put to recessives together and you get bunches of single combs again. Something you'd want to breed out if you did use her. Or at least that's my understanding!

5. SundownWaterfowl

If I were to breed her, I would not be selling the eggs. I would just breed her to see what happens, and to experiment with her and her chicks.
    I know what you mean KLF73 I bought two batches of 6+ eggs for $25 each, and only 1 chick hatched, and it had only 4 toes and a single comb.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I have a sizzle with 4 toes and a single comb, but I expected it because it is a cross. I will breed her back to a silkie roo but still would make sure the buyer knows that it is a possibility and a risk(incorrect comb/toes) to get the frizzle in there.
    I have seen this asked before and I believe general consensus was that there is a lot of work to breed that out and it may still pop up later......

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Silkie breeders need to be more open about the "pure rosecomb problem"(roosters pure for rosecomb have a lowered fertility) like the Wyandotte folks. Silkies actually have a modified rosecomb rather than a true walnut. It's no real surprise that single combs keep appearing in silkies. Still, it is very annoying when it shows up..

In any case, rosecomb is a dominant. Crossing a single comb with a "walnut" silkie will give all walnut combs, but they will also all be carriers of the single comb gene inherited from this hen. Also like someone above mentioned.. if you get any single combed offspring, it is proof the rooster she was bred to was a single comb carrier.

8. SundownWaterfowl

Any other opinions?

(Im freezing right now, Its only about 35 outside and I just got done feeding and watering everyone)

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I would not do it, as as a silkie breeder, I woud be seriously disappointed if I got a chick with a single comb. I have had them in the past and sold every one as pets. I only keep correct comb birds as otherwise, you should disclose they carry a single comb gene. Buffs are hard as they are more difficult to get decent stock with all the right traits and no faults. I just got a bunch of chicks a while back in white and there are single combs in there...they are all going to be sold, no matter, I do not need the hassle later on to introduce that into my line.[​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a single comb rooster...I have chose not to breed him but not only because of the single comb but he also has curled toes. Not sure if that is genetic or not. I think if the chick u has grows up and has qualities you like and breed it to another who has good qualities then I think you will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by