Single duckling brooding with chicks - duckling still lonely?

kerryb90

Songster
Jan 27, 2021
Bluefield, WV
Hello! I recently had exactly one duckling hatch, shortly followed by several chicks. Since they're all still very small, I figured it would be fine to brood them together until my next batch of ducklings hatch this weekend. I know ducklings can't be alone, so I was hoping that this ducky would take to the chicks like they were its own flock.

So far, things have been fine - until tonight when I turned out the lights (I use brooder plates for heat) and Little One (my duckling, ironically a pekin mix) started screaming and would. not. stop.

I've handled this duck quite a bit from hatch, so I'm wondering if they have imprinted on me, but I've seen no significant signs of that till Little One fell asleep on my arm just now (after screaming in the brooder with the chicks for a while and keeping me up). The duckling has slept just fine without me for almost a week now! I don't know what changed. Maybe Little One is lonely without other ducks around? Or has this duck imprinted on me? What do you all think?

Asleep and cozy!

20210513_003125.jpg

I have had 2 ducks and have had them both imprint on me the way you are describing it makes it sound like imprinting and a little bit of loneliness, I think once you get another duckling he might still be attached to you but not as bad. But he is a cute duck

What a sweetie! 💜 I’d keep an eye on her, she should be fine with chicks, and take them as her own (brothers?) and sisters. If you e got a pool around for her to swim in, her chick or siblings may even hop in with her! (Maybe even mom will go for a swim! 😊)

Back
Top Bottom