Single Duckling

ducko

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2021
Hello, I recently adopted a new duckling by itself as there aren't any more other ducklings left. I feel very cruel having just one duckling and I'm scared of it getting lonely as I got him when he was 1 and a half week old. I'm extremely scared that it will get lonely but I'm not in the situation to get another duck right now. I try to spend as much time as I can with it but it seems to still be quite scared of human interaction. It's been 2 days and it has let me pet it and hand feed it but gets very scared and mad when I pick it up. I'm wondering if I should let it in the house so it can interact with us humans? It's a call duck! Any help is appreciated thank you!

Also can a duckling this old still imprint on me? It's almost 2 weeks old now!

If you can’t keep another duck I would say keep it with you if you can long term they are very sociable creatures and call ducks are a very friendly breed

Do you think it can still imprint on me at this age? I asked the person I got the duckling from and they said it can. I'm planning on bringing it inside the house today to let it waddle around.

I’m Do you think it can still imprint on me at this age? I asked the person I got the duckling from and they said it can. I'm planning on bringing it inside the house today to let it waddle around.
I think so. My gosling lived in the brooder and still imprinted on me, so he should in the house. Agreed with @Dovethesilkie that you may need some diapers unless you want poop on your floor….

I think so. My gosling lived in the brooder and still imprinted on me, so he should in the house. Agreed with @Dovethesilkie that you may need some diapers unless you want poop on your floor….
Haha thats a good point! It doesn't let me pick it up right now though so I think I will have to resort to cleaning up their poo for a while. Do you know any good ways to gain it's trust? Sometimes it gets scared and starts puffing out of it's nose to "scare" me away but I show it my hand filled with food and then it's fine.

Haha thats a good point! It doesn't let me pick it up right now though so I think I will have to resort to cleaning up their poo for a while. Do you know any good ways to gain it's trust? Sometimes it gets scared and starts puffing out of it's nose to "scare" me away but I show it my hand filled with food and then it's fine.
These are magical!!!

FLYGRUBS Superior to Dried Mealworms for Chickens (1 lb) - 85X More Calcium Than Meal Worms - Non-GMO Chicken Feed Additive & Molting Supplement - BSFL Treats for Hens, Ducks, Wild Birds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MWTPGYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G7CA4H5VHY4RJ2FRXAW7

Do you think it can still imprint on me at this age? I asked the person I got the duckling from and they said it can. I'm planning on bringing it inside the house today to let it waddle around.
I don't know how much inside time you are going to do with your duckling, but be sure he's not walking on slick flooring. Carpeting or put towels down so he has traction. It can cause leg issues if he is on hard surfaces where he doesn't have traction.

Back
Top Bottom