Single Egg w 3 Yolks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EastTXChickens, Aug 3, 2014.

1. EastTXChickens

EastTXChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    East of Nacogdoches
    [​IMG]

I cracked open this three yolked egg just now that was laid by a Brown Leghorn who's been laying 2 weeks and is 20 weeks old in 2 days.

She was in and out of the nest box calling out like she laid an egg about 5 times. Finally it was done. There was a bloody smear on part of the shell and it's the biggest egg yet, others have been small.

I've heard of a double yolk but never a triple.

Have you?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've been raising chickens for about 10 years now, and I've gotten just 1 triple yolker during that time. It was massive, quite a surprise and also laid by a Leghorn (white). Sadly, I lost that hen to prolapse, I'm assuming because she laid lots of very large eggs. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but it may be something to watch out for with your girl.

Congrats for that honker, I bet it was delicious (and I think your poor hen deserves some extra treats)!

3. EastTXChickens

EastTXChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    East of Nacogdoches
    Thanks Nikki, for the heads up re: prolapse. I'll sure keep an eye out, thanks!

I was so excited; going on the 'net, messaging and calling people about the triple yolk, that I didn't consider the downside. A reality check is sobering. The egg was Grade A sized, quite a bit bigger than the 'Iil eggs she had been laying.

Still, it felt like finding a 5 leaf clover! :lol:

I have been known to rush outside and scatter a few mealworms after the laying song has been sounded :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by