single gular lappet versus two wattles...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Darth Egger, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Darth Egger

Darth Egger New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    does anybody know which is dominant?

2. Hi! I don't know except what I've seen in my crosses and what I was told when I'd asked about that in the Naked Neck thread. It's more obvious on a NN bird. I never notice it on my bearded/muffed birds unless they drop their beards while molting, and then it's quite obvious --- but forget to ask about it.
    I was told 'beard' is dominant, and bearded birds tend to have dewlap {*single gular lappet* (new term to me)} rather than proper wattles.
    I hope someone that knows how it works better than I can explain it.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Chickens can have dewlaps?????!?! photos please! [​IMG]

4. Hi! This blue boy has dewlap, no wattles:
    [​IMG]
    One sibling has proper wattles, no dewlap:
    [​IMG]
    Another sib has small wattles AND a dewlap:
    [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Such dewlap is often found on rare breeds of Oriental Gamefowl, too. Not sure of the dominance in it though.

And then of course Brahmas also have a good sized dewlap, but nothing like mentioned.

6. Darth Egger

Darth Egger New Egg

Nov 4, 2010
    Easter Eggers, Araucana(?) and Quechua have the single "Janet Reno" dewlap.

Does anybody have F1 Olive Eggers and happen to know which type of wattles they have? I don't have any F1s currently, I'm working on B2s.

7. CHICKEN little 1

CHICKEN little 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    W.V.
    I have a NN Green egger hen that I hatched from Dipsy that has a single dewlap. First time I'd seen one. Thought I was seeing things. lol Now I just think she's pretty cool. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by