Single Hen and New Companion Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JustJ, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JustJ

JustJ Hatching

Jun 15, 2009
    Northern Calfornia
    Have seen similar posts but have a few more questions. I lost one of my 2 year old hens to dogs this past week. I only have 2 hens so I am down to one. I brought home a 1 year old Barred Rock as a companion 3 days ago and my older girl is not being too nice. Won't let the new one roost with her, doesn't want to hang out with her when they free range. I am keeping them separated but where they can see each other when I am not home. Is this just a matter of time or should I consider a 3rd hen to mix it up a little? My other 2 girls grew up together so they were very close. Thanks so much for anyone's input.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I will have to deal with my first flock integration soon too. Have you tried letting them out together and handfeeding treats? That may get them used to one another. From what I have heard, as long as there is no bloodshed, you should let them work it out on their own. [​IMG]

Edited to say: I see you have been a member for a long time so I will change that to welcome BACK to BYC. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I just integrated my new flock about a week ago. They will work it out. I have one mutt hen... she is a low ordered hen. I feel sorry for her, so I baby her. But they work it out...It is a harsh scenario, but it is nature..[​IMG]

4. JustJ

JustJ Hatching

Jun 15, 2009
    Northern Calfornia
    Thanks everyone for your input! I think my girl and I are both in mourning still too from our loss. We'll see what happens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: