Single lonely chick

Anabariful

Songster
Apr 25, 2017
Beautiful Ohio
Had a terrible hatch this time around in my incubator and 2 chicks out of 9 hatched. A few hours later, sadly, 1 chick passed. :( I now have one lonely Silkie Bantam chick. I tried putting a few tiny stuffed animals in its brooder but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I can pick up a mirror tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

I can't seem to find any Craigslist silkie chicks for sale in my area either. :/ my other silkie chicks are 5 weeks. Is it possible to integrate them with this singleton in a week or two?

It's much easier if the baby has other chickens to bond with. If you don't have any broody hens to try and put the chick under, I think the best option is to try and find some "sibling" chicks for the baby to bond with. it doesn't matter what breed the chicks are, any will do. Last time we had an orphan, we drove to the hatchery nearest us, and picked up three "sibling" chicks for our baby. They were all assorted breeds, and ages, we didn't know what we got until later, but our lonely chick was so happy to see her new friends! She is a week and four days older than they are, but it doesn't matter, you can do that up to a two week difference. Ducklings (or as far as I know, any poultry chicks) will work too. A larger stuffed animal (especially a stuffed chicken or duck) is nice for bably to huddle under or behind, as well as a mirror.

I think a six week difference in chick ages is too long for them to integrate well. I think the older ones would pick on the young one.

Last edited:
The TSC in Williamston, Mich, has chicks right now. Check around your area, and nearby hatcheries. Someone must have chicks! My youngest bantam chicks are almost six weeks old, too much for your baby. Good luck! Mary

I see you are in Ohio. I don't know where, but Meyer Hatchery in Polk is awesome. We have driven up there twice to get some, and that's where we got the chicks for our baby. They have a mixed breed & age bin in the store where you can go and get chicks most of the time, just call to make sure they have some. With that, you have no idea really what you are getting, but they do have a chick identifier tool on line that helps. Or, you can order any number if you are picking them up, and they hatch every week. They are kind & caring and we have been very impressed with them! There's also Mt Healthy hatchery, depending on where in Ohio you are.

So sorry! Incubator issues?!? Mary

Possibly but they were shipped eggs so many had saddlebag air cells and some were very porus and didn't even develop. One Chick appears to be aspirating and gasping for breathe and the other, I think had some neck injury possibly. They hatched "early" on day 23 as their eggs looked a bit veiny still and one had a stump from still absorbing its yolk. :(

My last two hatches have been excellent with 6/7 silkies hatching and all being healthy. I also had 4/5 ducklings hatch great too. :/

So sorry for the loss....If you find yourself with a single again, or even just fussy chicks. Hanging a feather duster in a corner of the brooder,low enough the feathers touch the bottom, they will go in under like it's a momma hen, Works like a charm!;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom