single muscovy drake and the winter looms

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blanky, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Blanky

Blanky New Egg

Jun 13, 2014
    I live in the mountains in TN. I have a single Muscovy Drake who is living in one of my ponds...all by himself. He came in the spring with a wife but something got her within a day. I got another duck this summer to hang out with him. She made it about 4 months and then she got dragged down the creek by a fox...It is too late to hatch any more right now, so I am trying to figure out what I can do for him during the winter. I do not feed him except occasionally tossing him a handful of cracked corn or catfish food. He swims in the pond most of the day and grazes in the pastures around it. I am hoping he will survive the winter and then I will try to hatch some companions in the early spring. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

yep i have a suggestion, GET A PEN FOR THEM just a simple 10ft by 10ft pen can do it, ( but preferably bigger) just some chain link fencing and some chicken with around the side about half way up the cage then a chicken wire top will do it, it only rtake thirty minutes maybe an hour out of you day to make it, i'll post pics of mine tomorrow as an example. oh and if you get another muscovy female, MAKE SURE IT CAN FLY!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by