Single or double barred Chocolate Cuckoo Orps

I don't see a picture.
Wow, I came to the thread looking for the pics too.. to the OP is the chocolate in your line Dun based?(I^D/i+) or sex linked chocolate?(choc/choc for males and choc/- for females)

A recessive sex linked choc barred pullet from a breeding project from years ago(did not keep in contact with breeder for outcome)

[/QU

Sorry I copied and pasted from my phone and it didn't take.
upload_2018-6-12_12-35-22.png

upload_2018-6-12_12-35-49.png

upload_2018-6-12_12-36-17.png

Father is a DBL barred and mother is solid chocolate

If the mother is solid-colored and the father is double-barred, then all of your chicks are single-barred. They wouldn't have inherited any barring from their mother, but they would have inherited one of their father's barred genes.

Wow, I came to the thread looking for the pics too.. to the OP is the chocolate in your line Dun based?(I^D/i+) or sex linked chocolate?(choc/choc for males and choc/- for females)

A recessive sex linked choc barred pullet from a breeding project from years ago(did not keep in contact with breeder for outcome)

[/QU
WOW I need this lady in my life!!

It does look like the first and third are single barred and the second is double barred, at least on their wings.

Ok, I'm new to trying to figure out sex links. If the father is barred and the mother is solid shouldn't that have made reverse sex links where the females are barred and males are solid?

It does look like the first and third are single barred and the second is double barred, at least on their wings.

Ok, I'm new to trying to figure out sex links. If the father is barred and the mother is solid shouldn't that have made reverse sex links where the females are barred and males are solid?
Nope.

The rooster has two copies of every gene. His offspring will inherit one of the copies he carries. Half should inherit one copy; half should inherit the other copy.

If he's got two different copies of the same gene (alleles), half of his chicks will inherit one allele, and half of his chicks will inherit the other allele.

Take, for example, gold and silver. They're the same gene. But silver is a mutation of the gold allele. If you have a rooster who has both gold and silver (heterozygous is the term--heteros means different), half of his offspring will inherit gold from him and the other half will inherit silver from him.

A double-barred rooster (homozygous--homos means same.) passes one barred gene onto half of his offspring. He passes the other barred gene onto the other half of his offspring. All of his offspring are barred.

Sexlinked genes are carried on the "male" chromosome Z (In birds. Not in mammals) because the male chromosome is longer than the female chromosome W. W is missing some genes. (Those missing genes are the sexlinked genes.)

In birds, males have two copies of Z (ZZ.) Females have one Z, one W (ZW.)

When a female bird has offspring with a male bird, she passes on the W chromosome to half of her offspring. That half is female because they have the W from her and a Z from their father (ZW). She passes on a Z to the other half of her offspring. That half is male because they've inherited a Z from her and a Z from their father (ZZ.)

W doesn't contain barring. Her female chicks cannot get barring from their mother, because they have inherited the W, which does not contain barring.

Z can contain barring. If the father passed a barred Z to the pullets, they will be barred. If he passed a barred Z to his cockerels, they will also be barred.

Females can only have one copy of barring because they only have one Z. Males can have two copies of barring because they have two Z's.

Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom