Single Polish Hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rckirby, Oct 3, 2018.

1. rckirby

rckirby Songster

Jul 20, 2013
    I got this girl a while ago because she was getting picked on by the other hens at a friends house. We had hens years back, but they all died off. This sweetie now lives in a cage on our front porch. She and our dachshund love playing with each other. I don't want to put her in the big coop out back all by herself. I'd love some opinions whether we could get a big parrot type cage and bring her inside. She loves people and our weiner dog!

55675718008__C417CD0C-1853-43A0-8696-8ED375E4D726.fullsizerender.jpeg

2. N F C

N F C snowing & blowing

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    There are members who have house chickens so yes, you can do that. Try using the search function so you can find out how others are making it work (I've never done it).

Good luck!

WhoDatChick and puffypoo like this.
  3. rckirby

rckirby Songster

Jul 20, 2013
    Thanks. I've looked at a few of them. I didn't want her to have the roam of the house, but was wondering about a big parrot type cage. I've done some research and I don't think it's a good idea. We'll get through the winter!!

WhoDatChick and drumstick diva like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    My friend has had house chickens - various breeds but mostly Silkies, for over 30 years.
    She cleans up messes as they occur. Her last birds were 2 matronly seramas and one silkie hen. They were 5 years old and suddenly they died a couple days after each other.
    She said they no longer could stand but, ate well if she hand fed them. I think it was probably "Marek's disease. The silkie was the only one who went outside.

She is on a waiting list for a frizzle pullet. I have read that Seramas & Silkies are especially to Mareks.

5. rckirby

rckirby Songster

Jul 20, 2013
    So, my single Polish Hen wants to come into the house so bad that she has almost learned how to come through the doggie doors. The dogs love her. We love her. I'm looking at big bird cages. I mean...what is the difference between her and Parrot's?

WhoDatChick and Soon2BChixMom like this.
  6. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Maybe set up some sort of cage made from cube crates. Many people build them for guinea pigs. I will attach a few pics. It is made with coroplast (corrugated plastic) and storage cube cages. They call them c&c cages (if you do an online search). I don't know about using coroplast for chickens though, but you can build these quite high as long as you use support.
    Or maybe a small prefab chicken coop or rabbit hutch? Might not be much bigger than a parrot cage. :confused:
    s-l1000.jpg 2x4-with-1x2-loft.jpg

WhoDatChick and N F C like this.
  7. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    you could make her a diaper so that she can stay in the house without a cage,my silkie does it whenever she comes in to get fussed over and primped for fair...or whenever she needs a shower

8. rckirby

rckirby Songster

Jul 20, 2013
    I'm on a quest for a cheap indoor cage, plus diapers. Not sure I want her roaming all over the house.....but this girl loves us and wants to come into the house.

9. rckirby

rckirby Songster

Jul 20, 2013
    I found a big parrot cage on craigslist. Looking into getting it for $50. Could it work?[​IMG]

10. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    maybe for just the night and then supervised outside/house time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: