Single Poult - what to do?

runbikegrrl

In the Brooder
7 Years
I have ended up with just one turkey poult, which I suspect is just a few days old. I have it under the heat lamp I use for chicks, I got some turkey crumbles and the waterer is in there...however it will not stop cheeping....I am sure it is very lonely. I am hunting for someone who has a new hatchling of any sort for a buddy....but until I find one is there anything else I can do? You know, sorta like the wind-up alarm clock and water bottle set up you can do for a new puppy!

I have ended up with just one turkey poult, which I suspect is just a few days old. I have it under the heat lamp I use for chicks, I got some turkey crumbles and the waterer is in there...however it will not stop cheeping....I am sure it is very lonely. I am hunting for someone who has a new hatchling of any sort for a buddy....but until I find one is there anything else I can do? You know, sorta like the wind-up alarm clock and water bottle set up you can do for a new puppy!
add a mirror if you have one, it may help a little. We also have a single poult too young to go with the others that are about 3 weeks older. it lives in a brooder in the living room and sits on my lap watching TV in the eveninEWEGSZZZZZ (AND TRIES TYPING SOMETIMES TOO) and turns on caps lock too. peeps for about 10 minutes in the evening when we go to bed.

RobertH

I have ended up with just one turkey poult, which I suspect is just a few days old. I have it under the heat lamp I use for chicks, I got some turkey crumbles and the waterer is in there...however it will not stop cheeping....I am sure it is very lonely. I am hunting for someone who has a new hatchling of any sort for a buddy....but until I find one is there anything else I can do? You know, sorta  like the wind-up alarm clock and water bottle set up you can do for a new puppy!

add a mirror if you have one, it may help a little.  We also have a single poult too young to go with the others that are about 3 weeks older.  it lives in a brooder in the living room and sits on my lap watching TV in the eveninEWEGSZZZZZ   (AND TRIES TYPING SOMETIMES TOO) and turns on caps lock too.  peeps for about 10 minutes in the evening when we go to bed.

RobertH

x2

:thumbsup

Sounds like you will have a great time bonding with it. You could let it walk around the house with you when you are there. :oops: Just watch for poop droppings.

add a mirror if you have one, it may help a little. We also have a single poult too young to go with the others that are about 3 weeks older. it lives in a brooder in the living room and sits on my lap watching TV in the eveninEWEGSZZZZZ (AND TRIES TYPING SOMETIMES TOO) and turns on caps lock too. peeps for about 10 minutes in the evening when we go to bed.

RobertH
I had to put a mirror with a little stand on it so the poult would be able to see himself. It is two-sided so no matter where he was he'd see another turkey eating etc. I would move it around in the brooder in with a single poult I had due to a staggered hatch and it worked GREAT! I would put her food by the mirror so she/he had a companion to eat with

I had a 6 week old poult get out and made it to the neigbors house who called me and told me that the turkey would not leave their front door. The turkey wouldn't leave because it was seeing its reflection in the window and wanted in.

I'm in the same boat. I currently also have 2 and 3 week old silkies. I put my poult with my smallest silkie and they seem relaxed and content. My question though, can the chick survive on turkey starter? Or should I take her out and just substitute with a mirror? (Already on in the brooder)

This type of situation is where my profile name came from! I have a few birds that were adopted by other species because of orphanage and or age. I love my silkies for this purpous, theyre Great with the baby turkeys, both breeds being such Great critters by themselves already. But i also have a silk who thinks he is a duck ;)

[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom