Single rescued chick advice please!

allieszoo

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Stanton, KY
My friends hen hatched a clutch today, then the momma and chicks got attacked by a stray dog. One lone chick survived and the other hens would NOT take the chick and were trying to peck it to death so they brought it to me since he didn't know how to tend to the baby (he has only had his hens hatch chicks)

Right now I have it in the brooder apart from my other chicks. It is under the heat lamp about 95 in the brooder, I showed it the water (with ACV) in it and have out some 20% chick feed (crumble).

The chick is about 14 hours old.

It will NOT. STOP. PEEPING. LOUDLY.

My guess is it is lonely and trying to find mom. Is there anything I can do to do help? Like can I put a stuffed animal in there? A heat pack? I feel so bad it won't stop chirp chirp chirping.

Anything else I can do for the chick as well?

Am not sure how much I should handle the chick also - since it has been apart from food, water, heat and mom for the past several hours.

Try a stuffed animal in with it...and please try to get some food and water in it.....you gotta try, wish I was there, I would take some shifts! :(

I did get it to drink some water and it had a nibble of the chick starter - so that made me happy.

Is chick starter crumbles alright or does it need to to be mashed up/wet? I have never had one this little....usually mine are a week or so old when I get them.

I will try a mirror - I did put a stuffie in there and we are taking shifts talking to the little guy and trying to pet it for comfort.

It just will not stop chirping.

I got mine at 1 day old and they ate the chick starter. I believe the first few days they are nourished off the egg stuff they absorb. He probably is just lonely :( maybe get another baby!!

I got mine at 1 day old and they ate the chick starter. I believe the first few days they are nourished off the egg stuff they absorb. He probably is just lonely
sad.png
maybe get another baby!!

I have other chicks, but won't introduce mine to this one yet - mine are 6 weeks so worry they would peck the chick too much. ALso worried about illness. If I knew someone who had an extra baby would take it : )

Back
Top Bottom