Single Rooster....cold or lonely? Please advise.

WendyDean

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Dear chicken lovers,

My parents knew absolutely nothing about raising chickens but decided to get 10 eggs from a friend. They hatched. 9 were given to good homes. The sickly runt, named "Birdie", remained with my parents. He had been rejected at birth by the mother hen as he was unable to walk or eat. My parents literally saved his life by feeding him with an eyedropper and keeping him warm with a heating pad in a box inside their house. As he grew he moved to a "chicken-friendly" dog cage with supervised treks outside until he became a rather large and feisty rooster. He now resides in a 10x10 enclosed outdoor pen with an elevated roost to keep out predators. Birdie seemed content to freely roam the yard during the day and return to his roost at night until recently. He's now trying to get back into my parent's house. Is this because he's cold and/or lonely? He followed my father around as a baby chick. Perhaps he's longing to be with him? Birdie's never been with other chickens. I don't think he knows he is one! Every attempt to introduce him slowly to his flock was unsuccessful. We want to do what's best for this lovely creature. Your expertise would be most appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Wendy

welcome-byc.gif
have you posted your question in this forum yet? https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
Good Luck!

It could be both. I would have to say he seems more lonely though. If he was cold he wouldn't come off his roost. Can they get him a couple hens? I have a small flock of 3 and it's not to much work at all.
big_smile.png
Good Luck.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! It could be both, how cold is it where he is, is the perch in a coop in the run? Chickens are flock animals, so Birdy is probably lonely also even if he doesn't quite know he is a chicken. When you tried to introduce him back in to the flock, what was happening? It takes awhile to integrate a new chicken into an existing flock, though trying to add an adult rooster to a flock of hens usually works pretty well.

Hi, Wendy, welcome to BYC. Chickens are flock creatures. I would guess that he is wanting companionship.

what happens when you try to put him with the flock? Do they attack him or vice versa. Chickens have their pecking order and when a new bird enters their realm, it starts all over again.

If you partition off part of the outdoor run - he could be on side and the established birds on the other. That way they can check each other out without bloodshed. In time they should be accustomed to each other and you could take the partition down.

If he is destined to be alone, he would be warmer if he had a doghouse or small draft free box to be in,

Back
Top Bottom