1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Single Source for Diatomaceous Earth in INDIANA

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joebryant, Aug 25, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Do not use a Google map to get to the single source of DE in Indiana; it sent me on a wild goose chase today, wasting HOURS of my time. As far as I know the only seller of DE in Indiana is:
    Graber's Hunting Supply (William Graber)
    6248 North 1050 East
    Loogootee, IN 47553
    Telephone 812-486-3606
    They are northwest of Loogootee. Google map directions sent me about twelve miles southwest of Loogootee.
    Don't use the Google map directions

Thanks to a mailman (luck), I FINALLY found it. I bought two 50# bags for $21.95 each plus tax. When I left, I checked my odometer for tenths of miles on each road back and wrote NEW directions.

USE THESE DIRECTIONS, AND IT WILL BE EASY TO FIND:

Coming from the north on Highway 37, go 2.8 miles past the exit for Bedford, Indiana, to exit S. R. 50 and turn right (west).
    Drive 28.1 miles on S.R. 50 to and through S. R. 231 in Loogootee, IN. Stay on S. R. 50 another 1.6 miles until you come to Road 1200 East, turn right and go 5.6 miles north until you come to Road 600 North. Turn left on 600 North and go 1 1/2 miles to Road 1050 East. Turn right and go 1/4 mile north; there you will see the house and large barns on the right (corner of 1050 East and 625 North); the address is 6248 North 1050 East.

Coming from anywhere else, find your way to Loogootee, Indiana. Go to the intersection of S.R. 231 and S.R. 50 and go west on S.R. 50 1.6 miles to Road 1200 East... Follow the directions above from there.
    NOTE
    WARNING! Coming from S. R. 50, there is no other way to get to Rd. 1050 East but off of 600 North, i.e., 1050 East is VERY short (about 1,000 feet) and does not go through to S.R. 50 or ANY other road from S.R. 50; however, there are some complicate backroad routes coming from the north that lead into the 625 North road; good luck if you try to use those back roads.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I will add this link to my favorites.
    Will you be at Milton this Saturday?

3. joebryant

Quote:What's at Milton this weekend? We're having a very large 40th-birthday party for my daughter on Friday night, so I doubt that I'll be anywhere but at home recuperating on Saturday.

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't been, but there are two threads on it in the Chickenstock area. It seems to be a big gathering to buy, sell and swap all things poultry.

5. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I get my DE in the Shipshewana area, at FD Miller's Feed & Supply.

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also get food grade DE fm Garden Harvest Supply in Berne, IN. Their website is GardenHarvestSupply.com

7. joebryant

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. joebryant

Quote:That's interesting because I tried everything to find other retailers of diatomacious earth in Indiana.
    What do you pay for 50# at FD Miller's Feed & Supply.

9. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I just got a small bag. Next time I go, I'll check on the price, ok?

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

There is NO PLACE near me that I have found that sells food grade DE [​IMG] So I just put up with the shipping costs and order from custommilling.com It's the cheapest shipping i have found so far. I pay just as much for shipping as I do for the 21.00 50 #bag of DE but to me it's worth getting the DE that I KNOW for sure is the right stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by