Single vs multiple chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cray54, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cray54

cray54 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Western MA
    It is my understanding that some animals are more social than others. Some are fine by themselves, some are fine with part-time human interaction while some require constant animal interaction.

We have a Rhode Island Red rooster that was introduced into a flock of about 50 last fall. We have moved and are considering separating him from the flock. Based on current research / ideas would we be doing him a disservice by separating him from that flock? Or, would he be none-the-wiser within a few days and content with part-time human interaction?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are social creatures and are happiest when in a flock even if it's only a tiny flock (3-4).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a single rooster - who is a pet. He is happy as such, but he was separated from his flock at a young age (3-4 months) and has *CONSTANT* human and animal attention. He lives the life of a parrot - play-stand, huge cage, and his diaper wearing butt is usually parked on the loveseat with a child (or cat, or me) in front of the TV. He has outside time (duh) with people. He hangs out with the cats (and mounts them *facepalm*) and is a very, very sweet boy.

But - if you're planning on putting him in a pen and petting him 15 minutes a day, don't. Just - seriously, seriously, don't. They're more social than dogs or cats, by far. They're not bright, but they NEED a lot of companionship to be happy.

4. cray54

cray54 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Western MA
    He would only be penned at night, free during the day. I work from home and do maintenance here for the family farm, so I am often outside here. I suppose we could get a couple chicks, I just don't want them learning his bad habits. Maybe I'll leave him where he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by