1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Singled out hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeroldine, Dec 31, 2015.

1. jeroldine

jeroldine New Egg

Dec 31, 2015
    We have 8 hens and 1 docile rooster. All about 7 months old and haven't had any issues until recently. One of my Dominiques lost some feathers on her neck and was attacked brutally by the others. She has been seperated and is healing well starting to eat and drink on her own and showing no signs of infection. The people at the co op said I would likely not be able to reintroduce her to the coop. They have more than enough space food and free ranging time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am prepared to make her her own home with a new friend to keep her company however, I'd prefer putting her back into the coop.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    She could be sick,but trust me,I never take advice from co op people,I don't even think they know exactly what their talking about,but that's me.

Try re-introducing.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    How did she lose feathers on her neck? Did you see the others attacking her? Are you positive it wasn't from a predator?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At that age they sometimes go through a neck molt, but why she was attacked, that you need to figure out, how much room do they have and do you have places where more meek birds can get away, and what percent protein feed are they getting, if you switched them to a layer too soon they could lacking protein, they are laying and still growing so make sure they have 18-20%. Do they have things to do during the day, bored chickens are trouble. Figure out why it happened first, then I would try reintroducing her by penning her separately but within sight of the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by