Singleton pullet/hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by trifecta, Apr 8, 2012.

1. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    Hi All,

So I started this spring with 12 birds for a meat project. 4 of which went to freezer camp as cornish game hens, 4 more to go a week from Wednesday, leaving my 4 comparison birds- 2 BR and 2 RIR, which will be scheduled for freezer camp when they're big enough.

I never intended on keeping the 4 "colored" birds for anything other than meat, but I am starting to think that one of the RIRs may be a pullet! Compared to her brother at 6.5 weeks, her comb is yellow at the top and smaller. The tails on the 2 are starting to look different. Any thoughts on when I can definitively tell them apart, besides crowing and laying :). I was totally convinced up to this week that they were both roosters.

Has anyone ever successfully kept a single hen? I am not sure if getting her a friend is an option at this point, but its something I have considered- and opens up a whole new thread on introducing 2 different aged birds :). My plan would only be to keep her until the winter and when she stops/slows laying, send her to the freezer as well.

I just feel bad keeping her by herself, and if its too stressful on them to lay, then that defeats the purpose.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could post a picture, then we may be able to tell more :) I think a single chicken would be a lonely chicken. Why not sell her on Craigslist? I'm able to get $15 for a point of lay pullet in my area. Good luck!

3. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    Ok, here are some photos that I took yesterday. The 2 RIR were in a straight run bin. The 2 BR (I think) were in the "pan fry" special bin. Its hard to tell in the photos, but the BR combs are much redder than the RIR. I didn't know if this was a breed difference or a sex difference. The other thing... I don't exactly know how old they are. They had a decent amount of feathering when i got the 4 of them, and I think they were at least 1 week old. I have had them for 6 weeks now.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think the one on the top may be a pullet. Her comb is more yellow at the top, but its hard to see in the pics. Here is one of the BR for comparison:
    [​IMG]

I think if I do have a single pullet I will just sell her. There seems to be a lot of people looking for laying pullets and hens right now, unfortunately its just not an option for me this year to have layers as we're moving next spring, and I don't want her to be lonely!

Thanks for your help!

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  5. trifecta

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    That would be perfect for me either way :).

I was starting to wonder since the one's comb is yellowish at the top and the BR have much larger, redder comb, but I'm guessing this is just breed or age difference. the more I thought about it, I really have no clue how old these 4 guys are, just how long I've had them for.

Thanks!

6. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I am glad It helped.

Mine are 8 weeks old right now. They are close to the age of yours but yours look a bit younger by a week or so, Just a guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by