Singleton Silkie Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Georgia Nana, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    HELP!!! Two Silkie eggs hatched in my incubator 5 days ago. Last night, one of them died, and the other is inconsolable!! It just runs all over the little brooder box chirping its little heart out! I don't think that it has stopped to eat or drink and will surely die if it doesn't calm down!
    Will it get better as the hours pass? I don't have a baby to put in there with it, nor do I know anyone who has any chicks! What do I do?

2. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    Oh! My heart goes out to you and your chick. [​IMG] That is hard.
    I don't have any words of wisdom, but I'm sure someone else will.

3. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Thank you. It was heartbreaking to lose the chick, and now the heartbreak continues. I am afraid that I will lose this one, too! I put one of the dogs' stuffed toys in the box with her, and will see if that helps. I will try and find another chick today, but don't have much hope for that.

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    That's a tough one. Probably harder on this little guy than if he had hatched a singleton. Just a thought, wonder what would happen if you would put a small stuffed toy (like beanie baby size or smaller) in his brooder with him? I know people do that with parrots.
    In the meantime if you keep checking with your feed store, vets, etc., if you could find a friend.
    If we were closer, (I'm in PA) I'd give you one of mine. They're a week old today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by