Sinking water test for incubated eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hunter801, Jan 21, 2016.

1. hunter801

hunter801 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Hi everyone from Utah. I'm a first time try to incubate my own eggs. I'm on day 16 and so anxiously waiting for babies. Been doing a lot of reading and watching the progress aND have been candling my eggs.well to day at 14 days in the incubator I tried the water test. Most of my eggs sunk but about 5 and what I read the singers are bad eggs. So curiosity killed the cat I cracked open one of my sinkers and the chick was still alive and well developed I'm sick and on this whole thing any suggestions on if the water Theory really works? Thanks for me too

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. hunter801

Jan 21, 2016
    See being new I posted in wrong spot

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The problem is you have it backwards. Good eggs sink. Bad eggs float. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. hunter801

Jan 21, 2016
    I hope I made it clear that I'm incubating these eggs and more than half of them sunk that's why I was asking if those were bad eggs for incubating or of the chick has died in them like I said the one that did think I cracked up and had a fully developed chick in it that.so your saying all the ones that sunk R good?

6. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

"so your saying all the ones that sunk R good?" Yes, the good eggs sink. That would explain why the one you opened (a sinker) had a chick in it.

That means of the 14 you put in the incubator, 5 floaters = bad and 9 sinkers = good (except for the one you opened, so now you should have 8 good ones).

I've never incubated before, but there's a great forum here with a lot of experienced members:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck!

7. hunter801

Jan 21, 2016
    Thank you for the info

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on NorthFlChick; sinkers = good eggs, floaters = bad eggs.

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually I heard people do the water test to see if eggs are fresh to eat. I wouldn't do anything with them so close to hatching - Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG], please be patient. Opening the incubator causes the humidity to fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by