1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sinking water test for incubated eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hunter801, Jan 21, 2016.

1. hunter801

hunter801 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    I'm a newbie the incubating eggs and I been handling and red up on it and today I did a water test on them I had most of my eggs sink and according to what I read those are bad eggs but I cracked one of them open and it had a fully developed chick in it that was still alive any help on a newbie would be great

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

I think the test you are talking about is to check and see if a chick is still alive after an unusually long incubation. You can place the egg in water and watch to see if it vibrates, causing waves in the water, which would indicate that chick was still alive. I don't believe you are actually intended to sink the eggs in water.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

There is an article in the Learning Center called hatching 101 that you might find very helpful. Sorry I can't copy a link on my phone, but go to the top of the page and look for the Learning Center, then the section on chicks and hatching.

4. hunter801

hunter801 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    The eggs sunk by there selfs.what iv seen on YouTube state those eggs that sink R bad.I open 1 that had sunk and it had a fully developed chick in it.it still had a lot of yok left in it but the chick was alive.the ones that didn't sink bouncing in water from something moving inside.from day 1 iv keep my humidity in the 50% saturday is when I have to put him down on the hatching tray and I'll pump by humidity up end of the sixties so excited

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by