1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sinus canker

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by S Turner, Mar 11, 2017.

1. S Turner

S Turner New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    I have small hen and what I found on line it was called sinus canker didn't find any real solution can any one help

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
    Do you have vet care available?
    Any other symptoms besides the canker - is she still eating/drinking, pooping?
    Does she have any canker or plaques on the inside of her beak?

Usually the course of treatment for Canker would be to use something Metronidazole. Make sure you keep the water station clean and sanitized. If you have a way to separate your hen so you can monitor her that would be good. Watch to see that she is eating/drinking.

Keep us posted.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/canker
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/overview-of-trichomonosis

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome as well to BYC. This is just a suggestion to try in case canker is not the problem. In the past few years many people have had nostrils of their chickens blocked with cement-like blockages of feed mixed with secretions and dirt. You may want to take some hydrogen peroxide, QTips, and tooth picks, and go to work on trying to get the blockage out if that is what you are seeing Peroxide will soften and bubble up, and it can help to getting a plug out. It may be that it isn't a blockage of feed, but I would try that first. Pictures of what you have going on are very important if possible.

1 person likes this.
  4. S Turner

S Turner New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @S Turner , welcome to BYC!

It could be sinus canker, but to me it looks more like a sinus infection. Check the inside and see if there is any gunk (pus) in the choanal slit:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by BYC's @Nambroth

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. S Turner

S Turner New Egg

Mar 11, 2017
    The slit looks clear. I didn't see any gunk.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you tried softening the area with peroxide or saline, and seeing if you can remove any of it? There are many threads to look at by doing a search at the top of this page for blocked nostrils. Also there is an article about how to clean a blocked nostril by BrownEggBlueEgg if you google it. Are you seeing any other symptoms, such as sneezing, or gasping?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by