Sinus Infection Goose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Age-of-Goositude, May 15, 2019.

1. Age-of-Goositude

Age-of-Goositude Chirping

Dec 4, 2017
    Washington State
    My Coop
    My two almost four month olds had sinus infections and I ordered Baytril online and it appears to have cleared up 100% of all symptoms, one the emden is just perfect now but my buff saddleback has a solid lump on his left side where the corner of his mouth meets his cheek it is smallish, about dime sized or smaller and a little is below the flesh of his beak and the other 2/3 is beneath his feathers, there sre so many veins near that area I'm not comfortable lancing it. My emden boy's whole face was swollen when he was sick, beneath his chin both his cheeks and his eye and he is fully recovered but the buff saddleback pom has that one thing left of it I am sure needs removed.
    (Emden is named Jinenji and Pom Saddleback is Theodore)

Please advise me on my next step and if I can get this to go away some other way.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I know nothing about geese, but there is a geese forum under forums at the top of this page. If there is pus in the sinus or face, you may need to try to squeeze out the pus from around the eye or up through the roof of the beak.

3. Age-of-Goositude

Dec 4, 2017
    Washington State
    My Coop
    Thank you

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here are some really graphic videos of squeezing or removing pus from a chicken’s eye which might be helpful with your goose:

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is the choanal slit in the chicken, but there should be similar anatomy in the goose. Pus from a sinus infection can sometimes be seen in the roof of the beak, and inserting a finger may help to get any of the pus out.

upload_2019-5-15_17-57-52.jpeg

6. Age-of-Goositude

Dec 4, 2017
    Washington State
    My Coop
    So I tried pushing it from the corner above the end of his mouth, felt a pop and it disappeared not even a minute later it comes back I believe it may be air or fluid, but whichever way I push it does the same thing and since it isnt solid it doesnt need cut open, I am wondering what is really in there and how to make it go away permanently, nothing I could see at the top of his mouth either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: