Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chick slave, Aug 19, 2013.
My 11 mo turkey has sinus infection been on duramycin 10 not better
Try Tylan50 or Tylan200. These antibiotics are stronger, and might work a little better than Duramycin. I'm not sure what the dosage for a turkey is, though.
question - how do you know he has a sinus infection? what are the symptoms?
Don't know for sure. Started out as 1 eye problem, then one nostril closed, then runny nostril Turkey book says infectious sinusitis but on this sight sounds like the one that means no cure kill all flock. I've got 80 wonderful hens how do I figure this out?
Ok, gave the turkey three shots of Tylan, she improved, not perfect yet, but the question is, do I kill her because she is a carrier or how do I know how to handle her. None of the other chickens have gotten sick as of today. It's been 1-1/2 weeks since I removed her from the chickens. Any help here?
Tylan should work well for your turkey. The ony problem though is if your turkey does infact have one of those highly contagious infections and she does improve she can likely be a carrier for the rest of her life and it is also likely that your chickens(maybe not all) have been exposed to this and will also be sick. Of course the decision would be yours on whether to cull or not. Even if you do it doesn't mean your in the clear. I would definitely keep the turkey separate from the chickens if you decide not to cull and practice good biosecurity before and after tending to your turkey and then visiting your chickens. Keep a close eye for symptoms through out your chicken flock. And it would be wise to keep a closed flock until you figure this out. Do not let any poultry off your property and also remember that fertile hatching eggs and chicks can carry some diseases also, so you may not want to sell anything and pass it on to other flocks. I know I sound a bit over paranoid. But my state recently had a pretty big outbreak with poultry diseases so I am always cautious when I hear of a sick bird. Another option is you could have a state tester come out and test your turkey, even your chickens if you decided and they may be able to tell you what is going on. If it is not a big deal to you either way then just keep watch and give meds when necessary. Keep us posted.
Thank you. I'll check into the state inspector . This turkey is so sweet. Hate to kill her. Keeping her separate for now.
How is the turkey doing?
I'm. Sorry to say we put her down yesterday. She was so unhappy, wanted to be with the others. She was still runny nose and coughed. Couldn't keep some of the other birds away from her, they kept getting over fence and hanging around her cage. I have a lot of chickens, love them all and felt I had no choice.
That was probably a good decision. Im sorry for your loss and I hope none of the others get symptoms.