sinus infections PLEASE I NEED SOME ANWSERS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShortCircuitRanch2332, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ShortCircuitRanch2332

ShortCircuitRanch2332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    ok so i have a few pullets with sinus infections its a clear fluid coming from only one sinus on all of them but one RIR shes got drainage in both sinuses
    other than this they are completely happy healthy and energetic there is no swelling, inflammation, redness, lethargy or anything just a lil runny nose what is this what is causing it and how do I stop it? there housing is a large shed I converted into a chicken coop (no chickens were in it before) before this flock I had chickens but over 7 years ago there run is about 1500 sq feet or more I haven't gotten any new chickens or been around any im stumped on this. I have tried the yogurt and polyvisol for vitamin A but to no avail PLEASE help me also I live in a dusty climate could this cause it?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    any body????

3. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    any body????please a little help

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    to me there are 2 ways to go

#1 give the vitamins, Vet RX, spray with Oxine AH

or

#2 get some antibiotics treat for 2 weeks

Aureomycin
    Tylan
    L-S 50
    Gallimycin

Someone will post and give advise in more detail

5. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I am an RN, I know with humans the production of mucous is a first line defense mechanism to rid the body of irritants. The irritants could be anything from excessive air pollutants to bacteria and viruses I would imagine this holds true even for chickens. What I would do is just watch them. If they are eating, drinking and pooping normally I wouldn't worry. But if you notice any change in their behavior such as listlessness, poor appetite, ruffled feathers or if the discharge from their nostrils turns from clear to cloudy then I would use an antibiotic. I think vitamins, probiotics (yogurt), and something like VetRx is the way to go. Good luck![​IMG]

6. emrldgrn1

emrldgrn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Vass, NC
    I just went through this same ordeal with several flocks of my chickens. I thought I was using good sanitation methods when feeding to keep from spreading but eventually everyone caught it. I did treat everyone for three days with the Tylan and it worked great. I had one Pullet that just couldn't shake it and so I used the Tylan inject able. She stayed sick for over a month and finally died. However I have over 40 others recover just fine from it. [​IMG]

7. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    hmm I have an antibiotic called Vibactra Plus from a company called amber technology and it can be used on chickens its all herbal and stuff would work the same???

8. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    would this antibiotic work??

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Chickens don't get colds or sinus infections like humans. What you are dealing with is some kind of respiratory disease.

Read over this link and try to identify what it is, then proceed accordingly. The bad news is that the respiratory diseases are highly contagious and the chickens who survive usually become carriers for life. That usually leads to closing your flock permanently or culling. [​IMG]

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I just reread your first post, because I didn't want to sound panicky or gloomy. Just how dusty is it? And are you getting any smoke from wildfires somewhere?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  10. ShortCircuitRanch2332

Mar 12, 2011
    Oak Hills
    well basically I live in the mojave desert so its always windy which causes dust and I looked over the post you put up and nothing really fits to look at them youd say they are perfectly healthy get up close and they have CLEAR fluid on there noses and the dust will stick to it and clog there noses no coughing, normal poop, no swelling, wheezing, redness, its only runny noses and its been going on since summer and the dust heat set in starting the last 2 weeks of june and they have all been the same just runny noses I started them on vibactra plus the antibiotic and no smoke from anything

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by