Sinus Surgery - Anyone have it - Pro's & Cons?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Doc was concerned about hubbies breathing and keeping him on meds to help control his sinus problems that aggravates his lung problems, only helps for a short time. they were thinking of doing sinus surgery, but that scares me as my neighbor who has breathing issues had it done and it was not that helpful........... anyone have thoughts on this?

Quote:
I am not trying to scare you, but think VERY carefully before going into any nasal surgery. If it is for breathing issues alone, I would say its not worth it. It can be a VERY painful procedure especially when the packing is removed. I did an internship with an ENT and I would never wish a nasal surgery on anyone.

I had it to repair a deviated septum (broken nose) and it didn't hurt. I'm a big weenie too. Scraping is a different experience I've heard.

I had horrible chronic sinus infections, and my wonderful ENT did surgery in which 'windows' were put in my sinuses and a deviated septum was corrected. I have always been very grateful I had it done.

Immediately after the surgery I had someone ask if I'd been in a car wreck that broke my nose. I said, "No, I paid someone to do this." I was black & blue and there was swelling.

The packing wasn't so bad, but I was amazed at how much they stuffed up in there!!

The hardest part for me was that nothing tasted right during recovery. Except sherbet. I used to hate sherbet until then, but liked it after that! If you can't smell your food it really affects the taste.

I suggest seeing if they can give you the names of other patients that had it done, and see what they thought. Surely there are patients willing to be contacted. If not, you might get a second opinion from another doctor.

25 years after having my sinus surgery I am still grateful that I had it.

I wish I could get the surgery. My nose is constantly swollen and plugged up. Its painful and even makes my eyes hurt. I cant taste food right now any way. Well barely. I can taste only sweet, sour, or salty. Even if this surgery is painful, if it helped me I would do it. Cause some days my face is so swollen from my nose that I cant open my eyes. But I cant afford the suregery. 5 years ago they wanted $8,000 down. There is no way I can save that much. The only extra bill we have is the internet. No TV here. And we live pay check to paycheck, barely scraping by.. I guess I have to live with the pain.

So if you have the money to get the surgery. I would go for it.

I worked in surgery for 7 years before staying home with the kids.....after assisting on the surgeries I would never get one done...LOL
I didn't know someone could stick something so far up your nose, but I know people that have had the surgery and they are doing great.

I battled chronic sinus infections for years. The pain was really terrible (felt like my head was going to explode!), I was popping ibuprofen all day every day (very bad!) and most of the time I couldn't breathe through my nose at all. I was completely miserable when I finally made an appointment to go see an ENT. At my first appt my ENT did a CT scan and found that my sinuses were completely impacted. I had my sinus surgery a few weeks later and I couldn't be happier that I did it. Sure the recovery wasn't fun... and I too was amazed by how much packing they pulled out... but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's been about 4 years now... no sinus infections... I can breathe... and I love my ENT.

Well if we got anything from him being in the service, besides the bad lungs that started all this mess, is at least they will pay for it - our insurance will. I just have mixed concerns about it. He has bad lungs from exposer to chemicals, they have him on the highest dose of inhalers they can keep him on, a few different ones, predisone most of the time - lucky me, and all kinds of stuff to try and keep his breathing under control. They now say he is allergic to everything except animals (lucky him) and his sinus is always messes up. they've done a few scans and when they put him on meds it helps for awhile, but one stopped it goes right back. It backs up and fills in his lungs, thus aggravating his Conic Respiratory disease & COPD. He is only 42. So it is a hard choice, his one Doc doesn't want him to really do it, doesn't like some of the other Docs that hubby might be sent to, but his pulmonoligest thinks it may help................
th.gif
He is unemployed - because of illness.....
he.gif
... so if he wanted to do it, now might be the best time.... but it's a hard decision.

Its a very hard decision!
hugs.gif

Being just 42 and having such a hard time with health is awful. Especially if its costing him his job. But you're right that now, while he's not working, is a good time to try and fix whatever you can. Expecially if the medical bill is paid for by someone else!

Due to the windows in my sinuses I swallow the junk that drains out of them. It upsets my stomach sometimes, but I don't complain. I can't imagine how I'd feel if was all draining into my lungs! And I already know how it felt to have that all compacting in my head. I remember the pressure hipeatall describes, and feeling like my head would explode. And when I went on antibiotics and the stuff started draining it was just as bad because the different pressure made it feel like it was imploding!

I do still sometimes get sinus infections, but they are not constant and chronic. Usually, when I feel one coming on, I can take OTC meds rigorously and avoid taking antibiotics since it all drains away again. Whenever I get a virus, though, I get a mega-sinus infection about 10 days later that requires antibiotics. But we're talking about taking serious meds 1 or 2x a year rather than 12-15x a year. I had the surgery because I was building up an immunity to the antibiotics and it was clearly a never-ending cycle (or badly ending) if I did NOT have the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom