Sir Blue - confused about breed now...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snowydiamonds, Sep 5, 2008.

1. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I knew what breed Blue is but now am confused, Please tell me his breed?
    [​IMG]

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    first thoughts andalusian,, but not sure. he has red and doesn't really look like the ones i've seen

3. snowydiamonds

I thought Andalusian, too, so that's what I've had in my siggie but then I saw posts of at least two other breeds w/pics so now??? Was or am I right or wrong as usual???[​IMG]

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    andalusian i'd say, just not a very good colored one. any blue or black breed can "leak" the red or silver that is hidden underneath from time to time, depending on how they're bred. judging by the half-ways colored earlobes i'd say an andalusian that wasn't bred with the purpose of meeting the standard description closely.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I thought Andalusians had white ears.

6. snowydiamonds

I was looking at ChicknLisa's eggs for sale post, her Andalusian's have white ears, so mine could be an EE??? (That's what he came w/as eggs, the EE's or Americana's I have now grown up are black w/green sheen and ear muffs/beards). Here's a pic of the EE/A's hiding from the flash today:
    [​IMG]

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Hi, I have 2 that look similar, one has the exact look without the red and the second has the red just coming in (13 weeks) but his comb isn't as "grand", ears the same color too. As far as I know they are Blue Andalusian x Black Australorp [​IMG] . It is just probably just an Andalusian mix, but if you find out differently I'd love to know [​IMG]

Krista

8. snowydiamonds

He's always been a kind hearted lil and now big guy...all the little chicks used to go to him or he to them if the others were bossing the lil ones around and they'd be safe w/him, he's always been people friendly, too...he was hatched this Spring, a youngster...

9. snowydiamonds

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Here is a pic at 7 weeks, the blue far right is the one that started getting the red at 12 weeks, the one on the left looks just like yours now minus the blue. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. Unlike yours, I can't stand mine, he bites when I try to put him away at night.
    [​IMG]

Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by