Sissy'sWild Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by patty12, Oct 31, 2011.

1. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My neice, a single mother works for the county of Sacramento. She works at the city dump and has a flock of chickens abot 70 birds as best as she can tell. She feeds them corn which she buys at a pet store and since they are running free and can eat weedseed, insects and grass seed since she supplies them with water I told her they should get enought to eat with out any food other than the corn.
    They are behind a good fence unless some one leaves the gate open then they come hunting for sissy. she leads them back into the field where they live. Since sacramento is a warm place most of the year I can see no problem in them living off the land. She doesn't know where the first chickens arrived from but the flock has increased under her watch.
    Sissy drives a bull dozer at the dump.
    She called me and ask about a hawk that was hanging around but I told her since the chickens could hide in the tall grass and weeds the hawk would not do much damage. I told her it was survival of the fittes and the hawk had to live also.

2. uncle clem

uncle clem New Egg

Sep 8, 2007
    Wish my hens had that good a hatch ratio:)

3. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Thanks for sharing![​IMG] an awesome flock![​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Chickens can be an invasive species and displace the native species. The hawk will do what he/she needs to do to survive. Kinda shows you how adaptive chickens really are!

5. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Sissy is a city girl, she has lived all her life inside the city and she called me wanting information because she had noticed the roosters digging out holes in the dirt and dust bathing . She wanted to know what was wrong? the roosters can't be trying to lay eggs can they, Aunt Pat? I explained the puropse of the dust bath and she was relieved. Here is some shelter she has placed around the open spaces for the mother hens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by