Sister freaking out about eating fertilized eggs!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by TOP KNOT, Mar 20, 2013.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Hi everyone, I think my sister is over reacting!! She will not take my eggs because "there is a rooster with the hens and that is just gross" I see no problem with this. For centuries we have kept roosters with our hens and ate the eggs! I told her I am not twisting her arm to take them. She got mad[​IMG] She is a vegetarian I am not. Am I out of line? They are my chickens

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You are not out of line. A fertilized egg remains just that until incubated - then it starts it's journey to chickdom You will not convince your sister otherwise - it's her problem - not yours.

1 person likes this.
  3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Agree with sourland - you can have all the fertilized eggs in the world, and if no incubation then no chicken, no matter what.

4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, a fertilized egg is only that - and as the previous posters state it only will "grow" when incubated.

Your sister clearly is the one who is out of line. It sounds like she's just different than you, like opposite sides of the coin different. LOL... They're your family, but most times that is where the resemblence ends.

Enjoy your eggs for what they are, home grown excellent edible goodness where you know every aspect of their diet and living conditions, unlike store bought eggs.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  5. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    I agree. Different people look at things in different ways. Let her enjoy her storebought eggs and you enjoy your fresh ones!

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I agree 100% let her have the storebought eggs.

7. Cafuen

Cafuen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    More for you! :)

8. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Thanks everyone!! The thing is she wants eggs from me... she just wants me to ditch the roosters so she isn't grossed out by the sperm in the egg. I offered to help her build a small chicken house and run so she could have 4 chickens. She said she is not ready. ACK drama! [​IMG] Well I am not going to change my coop...I enjoy the roosters. Next spring I am going to let some hens go broody. [​IMG]

9. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW

Sounds like my sister - drama! :lol:

10. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    I will admit that I used to have a problem, well I still do a little bit. I only use my fetilized eggs in cakes, cookies and meatloaf, etc. I can't just fry one up and dip my toast in it. Maybe one day I will get over it, since I have 3 roosters and love hatching chicks. I do have plans on having just a laying flock at some point that are not allowed near my roosters just so that I can continue to dip my toast in the yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by