Sister-in-law, brother, nephew and then there's me...(vent,kinda long)

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Ok, I will tell you a little background here. I have 2 brothers, one older, one younger, both of them married, older one just had his first son. Since my older brother has been with his wife, he has kinda gotten uppety (not even sure if thats a word) But anyway, we grew up in a house with lots of animals and very laid back and down home like. Now he lives in a nicer neighborhood and they have lots of nice things, nice cars and very nice house. They refer to my house as The Farm. They have always been very polite about everything here, but I have to admit that I feel very uncomfortable when they are over...I feel like they are looking my house up and down.
Ok, on to the second part. The plan was, if they ever had kids, i would watch them while they were at work. After trying for a long time, they finally got pregnant with their son (who by the way is just precious in every single way) I was so tickled because I knew I would get to have him here with me everyday! So as her maternity leave went on, they never really mentioned him coming over. I thought maybe it had to do with my "farm". Well turns out, the plan was right on, I watch him everyday during the week and am loving every minute of it.
Well today, it was show and tel at my daughters preschool and letter R is the letter of the week. So what else would be more perfect than a rooster? So we got the dog crate, loaded it up in the back of my blazer, put them in, covered them with a blanket, loaded up my nephew and my daughter...off to preschool we went! The rooster was a hit at preschool, everyone just loved him. While at preschool, my nephew slept in his car seat (he is only 2 months old, so he sleeps a lot anyway) We were there for about 30 minutes, headed home and went on with our day. My SIL called to check on him, I told her how fun our morning was and everything was good....until she came to pick him up of course.
Apparently, after she heard that I took the rooster in, she called my brother. She said that he was not comfortable with his baby being in the same car as a chicken. She said that they didn't feel it was safe for him to be around farm animals. I explained to her that he was never in contact with them, they were covered in the back of the car and OF COURSE I washed my hands before touching anything of the babys'. She said it didn't matter, and that they have made a doctors appointment because now he was exposed to chickens and chickens carry disease. I asked her why my brother didn't say anything when he called this afternoon to check on the baby...her response was "because he didn't want to hurt your feelings". Ok, well my feeling are hurt and I am offended. I explained to her that the chickens live here as do my horses, ducks, geese, dogs and cats and yes there is lots of dirt here. She said "I know, but we just want what is best for our son". I understand that but it isn't like it was some big secret that I had "poultry"here!

So, was it dangerous for him to be in the car with them today? I felt uncomfortable enough with having him here, feeling like everything has to be nothing but perfect, but now it is even worse!!!

Thanks for listening!

Poor little kid... His mom is so germophobic he'll probably spend his entire childhood being sick because she won't let him be exposed to real life. Her telling you the "reason" why she does not want her son at your home was totally uncalled for.
sad.png
hugs.gif

I feel sorry for you and your nephew. Your brother of all people should know a farm isn't going to make you 'sick' He is still alive, isn't he? You took all the precautions neccessary. Your nephew is going to miss out on a wonderful childhood if he can't stay with you on 'the farm'

As far as I know he is going to continue coming here, she hasn't said yet that he isn't going to come here. I guess we will have to wait and see what the doctor says. Even so, lets just say the doctor says he isn't going to die because he rode in the car with a chicken and he stays, when he gets older and is up and walking around, we will be going outside. I am not going to keep him in a little bubble. I am really hoping that they don;t decide to take him to a daycare or someone else. I love my nephew to no end and I take care of him as if he is my own. I would NEVER put him in harms way or expose him to anything detrimental to his health. But I have to say, I am now wondering is there reason to be concerned?
When I explained to her that the animals live here and that they aren't going anywhere she said...oh yeah I know that, but we just want what is best for him.

Quote:
I think he flipped out just as much as she did, which is surprising to me, because he grew up around lots of animals! She says it is all him and not her, but I don;t believe that.

Just be yourself, do the right thing and don't let her bully you. If he gets the sniffles, no doubt she will assume it is bird flu and freak out regardless of what you do.

You might want to have a little talk with your brother though.

I was thinking the same thing, now every little thing will be blamed on the chickens.
I told her that my kids are around them all the time and they are fine, her response was...well they aren't as small as him. Well they were at one time!
When she left, my DJ looked at me and said "how P-O'd are you right now?" I walked out to the barn, sat down next to my broody and cried my eyes out. I was so upset!

i would not watch that child for even 1 more day for them..*no way!*....it was rude what they did....and IF you keep watching him for them..(nice person that you are) EVERY time he gets a "normal" childhood cold/sickness....YOURE house will be to blame!....i personally would not feel comfortable with them in my house again...its like they look down on you or something...not good AND not nice!..i would call them and tell them that YOU cant have him at your house again...due to how they look down at how you are living...that it just makes you uncomfortable...BUT, thats just me..how i am....best of luck to you!
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom