Sister taking over chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SCOZZ2016, Oct 11, 2016.

1. SCOZZ2016

SCOZZ2016 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Please advise, we have 7 adult hens, and one of my Golden Comets went broody this Summer. We obtained some fertilized eggs and she hatched 2 babies. They are now 8 weeks old, and over the last week or so, the "sister" Golden has been taking more and more interest in the little ones. At first it was really sweet and "Aunt Sunny" would even sleep with one of the little ones.

But today, she turned on her sister and pecked her, and ran her away from the group. We do not like what we are seeing.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    It may be that Aunt Sunny is starting to feel a little broody herself, and thus her "protect the chicks from everyone" instinct may be flaring. You might try isolating her for a few days but keep her with the flock if you can. For example, set up a dog crate or wire pen for her with her own food/water inside the coop (if big enough).

Alternatively, this could just be normal pecking order stuff. Difficult to see when we want everyone to all just get along, but Sunny may just be making a bid to move up the ladder which is normal chicken social behavior.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

At 8 weeks, the chicks don't need any mothering any more.

I'd just leave them to work things out. The more you interfere in their dynamic, the more difficult things tend to get.

As long as it's just some pecking and chasing, that's normal chicken behavior. the "loser" runs away, the "winner" quits chasing, they go back to doing their thing.

Relentless chasing, pinning down in a corner and persistent pecking would be a different thing, but it sounds like that's not what you're dealing with.

4. SCOZZ2016

SCOZZ2016 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Thank you! It seems like it is normal coop behavior. It is hard to watch as I like a peaceful flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by