sites for breed ID?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amazondoc, Apr 15, 2009.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Hey guys --

I've got some baby ducklings. I've been able to ID most of them through pics on hatchery web sites, but one is completely baffling me.

Does anyone know of any good web sites for duckling ID? I'd appreciate any pointers!

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if you can post a pic of it, we're pretty good here at figuring it out. what does it look like? Sometimes hatchery birds can come a little wonky and hard to identify.

3. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I got a few pics, but they're not very good. Will try to get more.

Basically, it's a brown agouti sort of color. He has a dark brown top on his head, and a dark brown tail. the body is agouti (light and dark brown mixed together). He doesn't have any real feathers yet -- he's all down. Dunno the exact age, but roughly 1-2 weeks.

I'm halfway convinced the little guy is gonna turn into a goose, but he's the same size as the ducks. I just can't figure him out! The other ducks are typical hatchery fare -- blue Swedish, Rouen and/or wild-type mallard, possible white runners, supposed magpies. These are from two different sources, but the mystery duck was from a bin of assorted ducklings at a TSC.

ETA I forgot to mention that he's got a small brown mark on his cheek, but nothing like a complete set of mallard baby stripes. He also has a very faint broad stripe down the center of his back.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, here's pics that I took a coupla days ago --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Check out feathersite.com. They have adult/baby pics of most of the types of fowl you can imagine keeping. For me, it's an indispensible resource.

6. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I love feathersite, but I've tried it already.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    wow what strange coloring... It's not a standard breed i've seen. He might be some sort of a cross.

8. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm no help but it is quite cute. I am subscriing to this post so keep us updated as it grows!

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I think ducklings only come in "cute". [​IMG]

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's a cross. Maybe something like mallard x Khaki Campbell. I suppose I'll never know!

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You're right nettie, its coloring does kind of scream MUTT.

Khaki/mallard???

I say that because of the overall dusky brown color. That is a khaki trait that I have seen in both of my khaki crosses.

I mention mallard because of the one dot under the eye and the dark stripe down the back.

I guess it could also be a rouen mix, but I am leaning towards mallard.

For comparison, here is a khaki/buff mix
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The overall color is similar, but no saddle.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by