1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sittin silkie ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Oct 28, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    So I think my silkie has gone broodie, she growls at me and dosen't want me to touch her or take the egg. [​IMG] She is an pretty new layer. I don't think the egg is fertile, how do I tell, what do I do [​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  3. chasinglights27

chasinglights27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    Southern California
    If there's a Roo with her. Then you should be 75% Positive the eggs are fertile, cuz I was. Im a Newbie, but I have a 17 week old Serama hen and she went broody after laying 8 eggs. 6 eggs are going to hatch this weekend. Cant wait [​IMG] So im guessing even if shes really new to laying. If your Roo did the job, you should be expecting chicks in 3 weeks. [​IMG] Let her incubate the eggs 7-10 days and then candle them. That's when you know for sure. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Thanks! I have 2 roos lol. good luck on your eggs!
    [​IMG]

5. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    If your silkies ar not separated from the others...You will have some interesting chicks. Would love to see pics of babes!

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Nope there all in there togeather. [​IMG] lol I ate an few eggs today and I didn't see signal, of fertlization. [​IMG] What do I do? I now have her alone in an great dane sized dog crate, in the pen [​IMG] She got up when the door was open, and wondered, I came out put her in closed the door and she jumped back on the egg and is still sittin, I put food and water in with her, and some straw. Anything else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by