Sitting a LOT

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WellieWitch, Feb 24, 2017.

1. WellieWitch

WellieWitch New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Hi all! I have a Black Australorp who is sitting a lot. I've examined her and not found any problems with her feet or legs, no lice. She walks without any noticeable limp or other problems. I massaged her abdomen and didn't feel anything like an egg in the way. I've seen her eat and drink, but I've not seen her poop yet (though doesn't mean she hasn't). There was some sort of white diarrhea dried on the feathers near her vent, but I don't know if that was just runny poop from it being hot outside and drinking lots of water. (Hot! In February! But I digress.)

This has been going for at least two days, maybe three. She's sitting outside, so I don't know that it's being broody. She's also more alert than the hens I've had that go broody. They kinda seemed zoned out. This girl seems alert and interested in goings on. She also will get up and come for treats, but I let the flock out today to free range and she came out of the run, but is just sitting out there. She's not digging and scratching and dust bathing like the rest of the flock. I'm concerned because this doesn't seem normal. Any advice/thoughts?

It's not a very good picture, but she's on the left. She is sitting with her tail up most of the time, but I have seen her sit with it down. I don't know if that means anything.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Wellie

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG]Welcome To BYC

How does her crop feel - is it full, squishy, normal? Any odor to her breath (yeasty/sour)?
    When was the last time she laid an egg?

It's hard to know what's going on. Check her crop to see if it's functioning properly - it should be full at roosting time and empty first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink.

Look to see if she is pooping. Sometimes it's easier if you cage or kennel them outside on some clean bedding (set up the kennel near her buddies so she isn't alone). Being cage, you can usually see the poop easier.

If it's been very hot, then she may be suffering from dehydration. Watch to see if she is drinking enough. You can add some electrolytes or poultry vitamins to the water for a day or so.

Here's some reading on crop issues:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

3. WellieWitch

WellieWitch New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Crop seems perfectly normal - no unpleasant smells, hardness, or anything like that. I'll section her off and see if she's pooping. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by