Sitting Chicken Please help me

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nonnas girls, Mar 9, 2017.

1. nonnas girls

nonnas girls New Egg

May 29, 2014
    So I am kind of new at this. I have a beautiful black Austarlorp , she is 4 and has really been a wonderful chicken, never broody, always a good layer. Recently, about the past week and a half, she just sits down. She goes out to forage, she just sits down. In the yard (under the coop) she just sits. If one of the others bother her, she gets up and then sits in the corner. I thought she might be egg bound. I tried the hot bath, lubricated the vent (but I did not feel an egg). Kept her in overnight becasue what I read said if she is egg bound she won't live more than 48 hours. 3 days and she is still alive. Her comb and waddles are a beautiful red, she does not appear sick at all. Her feathers are as beautiful as always, she is very healthy but all she does is sit. I take very excellent care of my chickens, they are somewhat spoiled. They get organic pellets, fresh water with Braggs apple cider vinegar in their water. They get a little hot oatmeal on a cold morning. They live in a Coupe De Ville for a home. They are out forraging every day for a few hours. Could someone please help me. I will not cull her, I will not wring her neck,cut off her head, put her in a box hooked up to the exhaust on a car or drown her. (Some online suggestions) but I dont want her to suffer. The coop is clean,fresh pine shavings, clean and disinfected. I just don't know what to do. What could be wrong?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Have you checked her legs? Do they seem to bother her? Is a vet check up possible? I know its hard to find one and many people dont want to spend the money it would take for a chicken but it may be a simple solution :)

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Egg yolk peritonitis or other reproductive disorders can cause a reluctance to walk, preferring to sit, and sometimes an upright posture. That can be common inolder hens. Other signs can be runny droppings, poor appetite that leads to weight loss, and generally feeling listless. This can look like egg binding, but is very common in older hens.

4. nonnas girls

nonnas girls New Egg

May 29, 2014
    So, I looked into your possible diagnosis. My poor girl. She is still alive, and limping terribly. She walks and then just sits. Her tail is down. I checked again for an egg, I do not feel anything. Her belly is soft. I brought her in the house and checked her legs, they seem to be fine, no cuts, sores, I moved them and they do not appear to be broken or even painful when I move them, but could not be sure without an xray. I know egg yolk peritonitis was mentioned, thought that might be it. She is still eating, pooping as always, very normal, comb and waddles red and her feathers are beautiful and glisten in the sunlight, She sits on my lap and seems so happy and clucks to me but I just cannot figure this out. Where I live, It would cost me $95 dollars just to walk in the door of the avian vet. I just cannot do that. I can't cull her either. Any other suggestions?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Egg peritonitis and other reproductive disorders are hard to diagnose without expensive xray or vet care. Many use antibiotics to help, and though they may help for awhile, there is nothing than can be done to cure it. So I would try to make life as comfortable and easy for her. Help her to get to food and water. But some day if she is suffering and in pain, I would figure out some way to end her suffering. That might be finding a family member or friend who would put her down, or euthanasia by a vet.

6. nonnas girls

nonnas girls New Egg

May 29, 2014
    I will have to think about all of this. Thank you so much for your informative and very kind information.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. It's so hard to diagnose an animal that can't tell you what hurts.I would feel of her crop especially first thing in the morning when it should be empty, and again late in the day when there should be food in it. Crop problems can be common, too. Here are some articles about reproductive problems:
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx

8. micstrachan

micstrachan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    I think it's egg yolk peritonitis. Is her fluffy butt area swollen and soft like a water balloon? Isher breathing getting labored at all? My girl is suffering from it currently and almost died. She's not out of the woods yet, but is slowly improving. The avian vet drained over a cup of egg yolk stained fluid from her abdomen. She's on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. I strongly urge you to get her to an avianvet if you have the means. If not, and if she has the fluid in her abdomen, you might be ableto drain it yourself with a needle and syringe. Antibiotics might be in order, too. Good luck. Keep us posted.

9. nonnas girls

nonnas girls New Egg

May 29, 2014
    Good morning everyone, and again thank you for all your input. My girl is still sitting, not getting worse and not getting better. I tried to drain her abdomen last evening and got NOTHING at all. No, yolk, not even fluid.I used a 21 g needle and syringe but nothing,, She was so good and did not even move for the pinch. She did eat dinner and her crop was slightly full. I kept her in a cage for the night, Big stinky poop this am, very normal. So, not egg bound, don't think it is egg peritonitis and she is still alive. I watched a little tv with her lying on my chest, she just put her head down and went to sleep. I hope she is not suffering. Any OTHER suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by