We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Sitting Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CampnGirl, Jul 15, 2019.

1. CampnGirl

CampnGirl Chirping

Jan 14, 2017
    Scandia
    Looking for advice. I have a hen 2-3 year old hen. She's not feeling too top. I find her laying around, she prefers not to be on her feet. She does roost at night though. She eats, lays and her butt is not poopy. I can't figure out what is going on. I think her poo is normal. (I don't see any abnormal poo in my run or coop) Ideas? I have round and square perches of different sizes

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any pictures of your hen? Has she been laying normal eggs with hard shells lately? How do her droppings look? Is her crop emptying normally overnight? When younpick her up, has she lost weight or seem thin? I would start some vitamins in her water or give 1/4 tablet of vitaminnB complex ceushed into her food daily.

CampnGirl, Aunt Angus and micstrachan like this.
  3. CampnGirl

CampnGirl Chirping

Jan 14, 2017
    Scandia
    Good ideas, thank you. Yes her eggs/shell density seem normal. Her back end seems clean and her poo seems normal. Weight feels like it should I believe and she looks good. Absolutely nothing by looking at her looks wrong. Crop I am not familiar with. I'm going to try the b complex you recommend. Not sure how to specifically she gets it vs the others. What kind of vitamins do chickens get, do they like Flintstone chewables? :) lol take a photo of her tomorrow. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Helloworld likes this.
  4. CampnGirl

CampnGirl Chirping

Jan 14, 2017
    Scandia
    20190717_173808.jpg 20190717_173748.jpg

Sequel likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her crop doesn’t appear distended in the pictures, but you can feel of it early in the morning to make sure that it is empty.

upload_2019-7-17_22-8-48.jpeg

Attached Files:

CampnGirl likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: