Sitting Duck. Why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by verlyn78, Sep 25, 2012.

1. verlyn78

verlyn78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    My 6 week old duck is constantly sitting. It will be following the chickens and my other duck and just plop right down as everyone else continues on. It sits down to eat. It sits down to drink. Is this normal or is something wrong? It is supposed to be a Blue Runner, but I am pretty sure that it is actually a Khaki Campbell. I don't know if some breeds sit more than others. The other duck is a Fawn Runner and is up much more. Please Help.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It may be nothing, or it may be a sign that the duck is feeling tired, or has some leg problems that are just beginning.

I would make sure to give vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics, and be sure that the duck is getting enough niacin.

Since you have chickens and ducks together, are you feeding them all chick starter? Have you moved on to grower yet?

Ducklings need three times the niacin that chicks do. Not all ducklings appear to have trouble with low niacin, but a number of them develop leg and nervous system problems.

So if they are all on chick starter, I would put 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water for the next several weeks. Don't use the no-flush, fancy kind, just plain niacin capsules emptied into the water. An alternative is a sprinkle of brewer's yeast on their food in the morning.

I would also check the feet and make sure there are no sores or cuts or splinters.

Time in lukewarm water deep enough to float in can help stretch and strengthen muscles and take weight off of sore legs or feet, too.

1 person likes this.
  3. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    Will it be OK if the chickens eat the niacin also because they all drink from the same water? Where do I get Niacin? At the feed store or do I need to go to a Vet.?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You can check with chicken people, but I believe I have read that it is not a problem for the chickens. Do check that out.

Niacin is sold in most if not all drugstores or even grocery stores that sell vitamins. Just avoid the no-flush or time release stuff.

1 person likes this.
  5. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    Yes they are getting chicken starter.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I cannot be sure, but you may have a duckling sensitive to the lack of niacin.

1 person likes this.
  7. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    Thank you so much for your help. I will pick some up tomorrow. I will check on the chicken thing.

8. verlyn78

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    I got the niacin yesterday and added it to the water in the morning. So they are on the second day with the niacin and I can already tell the difference. Thanks again.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully the niacin will help, but I will say at that age they are growing so fast I really think that has alot to do with it to, I have seen it more in my drake ducklings than in the females maybe because they get big so fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by