Sitting Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Aug 13, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Do I need to be worried about this? Only 1 of the 3 is doing it. Has only really been doing it the last 2 days and not all the time, but every once in a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I don't know - just wanted to say how CUTE they are.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Mine will often do that with no other symptoms...Its cute!!! Unless the little ones starts to walk around on its hocks too - its nothing to really worry about. They grow so fat that sometimes they go through little stages of doing weird things- unless it is prolonged or other problems appear its not a sign of anything terribly wrong. keep a close eye on the little one though incase it does get worse- leg weakness is something they can go through temporarily- but it is treatable if needed.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmm, Have you checked the bottoms of its feet? When it does stand up do it's legs seem strong? Any shaking in them? Does seem a bit odd but I don't have runners so hopefully someone w/them will chime in here soon.

5. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:She goes from that position to running around to find peas or whatever else everybody else is doing. If they are all standing around, she'll sometimes drop back and then when the other 2 are off again, she's off and running with them.

6. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Maybe she just likes sitting like that [​IMG] no but seriously, hope its nothing serious.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Are they getting enough electrolytes, vitamins, and niacin? I would add this to their diet just to make sure. It could be that they are a little bit on the slow side and only one shows symptoms.

8. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    purina Flock Raiser, extra niacin in the water, and peas and bugs they catch in their kennel.

9. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Then I'd go ahead and take duckyfromoz advice and not worry about it right now unless you see the behavior increase.

10. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Well ducklings grow pretty fast - maybe its a balance thing? Learning to become co-ordinated?
    When scovie babies stretch they always fall to their stomachs (cute!) so might be the same as that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by