sitting hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chasitypearl, Feb 11, 2009.

1. chasitypearl

chasitypearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    i have this hen that tries to sit everytime she lays an egg she meand buissness when you collect so i thought i might try and let her hatch some for me any thoughts ive only raised one set of chick and they were day olds

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Totally up to you, but why not? Hens have been hatching chicks longer then we've been helping them after all! As long as you want to add to your flock that is. You can even add other eggs you purchase or get elswhere if you have a friend with fertile eggs in the area in case you want a different breed or something, you just have to get them and then I'd mark them with a pencil or marker, and slip them under her during the night, after she's laid a few of her own. Hens can't tell who's eggs are who's.

I've only done that under a hen who'd proven herself a good mama, but with spring coming, you might want to take that chance now. Be nice to have some spring peeps.

3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    We did it last year. You don't have to do a thing. Our little bantam hatched out one last year. I even saw her spit up water for the little girl to drink when it was still a fuzz ball. I had a water available but she was pretty protective. It really was fun. The one thing I will say is that that is the wildest chicken we have becuase it was not hand raised (picked up by all of us at least once a day usually more).

4. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Thats the only way I have ever hatched any, if its good enough for god, I dont think us people will ever do it any better

5. chasitypearl

chasitypearl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    well she was not sitting today so im wonder if i need to seperate her when i deciede to let become a mommy she is young yet not sure if she will stick with the sitting yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by