Sitting here worrying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CherishHolland, Nov 3, 2013.

1. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Ok I was approached by my DD second grade teacher on doing a hatch project for the kids in the classroom. I agreed to it lent them one of our bators and candlers and tossed in a dozen eggs. Well Friday was lockdown and this whole weekend I have been sitting here worrying that the humidity levels are holding and that the temp is good,I will say this though my 8 yr old and I have done all the work on making sure everything is regulated and so on. I thought the teacher was going to do it so I typed her up a hatching guide and the teacher has done nothing other than threaten kids with detention if they mess with the bator. I have spent more time in my dd's classroom over the past 3 weeks I will be so happy when this is over because honestly this whole ordeal has been one of stress! Ok enough ranting down to my question
    They turn the heaters/ac off over the weekend but I set the incubator up on a Friday and let it regulate itself over the weekend and it has held steady at 100 degrees which I am fine with because it is a still air bator and our last hatch here at home was a 100% so I have some faith in it lol! My main concern is the humidity I bumped it to 70% Friday and waited around the classroom for an hour to make sure it was holding which it was!! I even printed out a paper saying Caution do NOT open us up we are trying to hatch and we are in lockdown if you open us up and you risk killing us :( !! I am hoping like heck that these eggs hatch but am I overworrying myself?

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Yes. But completely understandably so. All you can do at this point now is wait to see how things are, and it sounds like you set up everything very well, so things should be fine.

As my mom used to say to me (I am a worrier by nature) "If you can't do anything about it, don't worry about it, as worrying won't do you any good."

Good luck with them! And take some pics of the chicks and post them here.

[​IMG]

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Wow, that stinks! Try not to worry about it, nothing you can do right now. Fingers crossed for a good hatch! Even if the humidity drops, they can still make it. Several times I've had random eggs hatch before I even started lockdown! It'll probably be fine

4. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Just an update on the classroom eggs they started pipping this afternoon!!! :) Kids are super excited and thank goodness my husband taped the lid of the bator on so no one could open it.

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Great news! Post pictures if you can, always love seeing pics of baby chicks!

6. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    It worked out just fine right?????????

7. CherishHolland

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    The class ended up with 5/6 eggs hatching 2 cockerels and 3 pullets! A kid in her class also raises chickens and his parents are looking for a couple of roos for their flock! So it worked out great! I will get pictures when I bring them home tomorrow morning,the dad is a brown leghorn moms are white leghorn and I tossed a rir hen in with the leghorns just for kicks lol. Pics to come tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by