Sitting in coop

Mjwaker

Chirping
Jul 13, 2020
Last question for the day.

My 3x 13 week pullets have a coop, a descent size secure run, a further extension to the run being made and when we are in and able to supervise they get the free range in large section of garden(minimum 4 hrs a day)

However if we are not on the garden with them they return back to the coop and sit for periods of time. And either come back out when we return to the garden / call them. Or they are after food and drink.

They have into been with us a week. And I know they are still young. Is this normal behaviour? Do they feel more secure when we are around? Do I have to worry that they keep returning the coop during the day (not to lay eggs) ?

Thank you

New chicken mum

hello @Mjwaker - welcome to BYC :frow

I think they're just settling in. If there were no fences they would be exploring the area in ever increasing circles, starting small and brief, and extending day by day. So yes, it's normal. You provide reassurance. But their confidence will grow over time and as they grow up. They are still immature, and were suddenly thrust into a completely new environment.

Thankyou for your reply

I did so much reading before getting them but occasionally a questions pops up

I love them already, such little characters 😂

Back
Top Bottom